The Dartmouth Moose? Really?

The Moose is an inadequate mascot, and the process that led to its emergence as the Student Assembly's choice to replace the Big Green exemplifies democracy misused and gone awry. The inherent difficulty in choosing a new mascot and essentially creating a tradition for thousands of students, alumni and fans does not excuse the Student Assembly's approach to the issue or the end result -- an awkward mascot that received the support of only one-third (35.4 percent) of the 2,300 students who voted.

The Student Assembly had the right idea: Dartmouth could probably use a new mascot. Unfortunately, the Assembly does not have the authority to limit the choice of mascots presented to the alumni and Trustees and in doing so diminished the chances that a mascot search would succeed.

The Dartmouth mascot impacts more than the 4,000 undergraduates on campus at any given time. The Assembly denied the right to help choose the mascot to thousands of alumni and fans who cheer for and identify with Dartmouth. As California politics frequently demonstrate, referenda misuse democracy. In the case of a mascot search, they can result in a controversial and divisive choice, such as the Indian, or an awkward and unsatisfactory one, such as the Moose. The referendum-happy Assembly failed to recognize that Dartmouth is more than a few thousand students who respond to a survey.

The Assembly should open the process to all interested parties and collect numerous mascot suggestions. They can then light a fire under the groups ultimately responsible for maintaining Dartmouth's image, the Administration and the Trustees, to conduct a comprehensive mascot search that involves alumni, fans, the Athletic Department, students and even surveys to identify a dynamic mascot that is attractive to a majority of people connected with Dartmouth.

Secondly, the Moose is not the answer to a quest for an inspiring image. Although the animal can be dangerous when cornered, it is neither gracious nor ferocious and conjures up images of the clumsy and dull-witted Bullwinkle of "Rocky and Bullwinkle" fame. Even more problematic is the lack of a palatable plural for "moose." The plural of "mouse" is "mice," the plural of "goose" is "geese," but the plural of "moose" is simply "moose," which just does not sound right (only a few grammarians support the use of the equally egregious "meese" as an alternative plural). At least other schools with lackluster icons, such as the Delaware Blue Hens and UC-Irvine Anteaters, have acceptable-sounding plural forms for their mascots. Imagine a coach writing a letter to a recruit and telling him that "We hope to see you in Moose uniform this fall" or imagine displaying your "Moose Pride" by chanting "Let's go Moose" at sporting events. Having to use the plural of "Moose" in such situations is laughable. Most importantly, do we really want to see people wearing Moose antlers in the stands?

The adoption of a new mascot will establish a tradition at Dartmouth that may not change for centuries. Finding a mascot requires as much time, input, and research as is necessary to avoid disappointing generations of Dartmouth students and fans to come.