More on ISTS

To The Editor:

This is to amplify information in the recent article by Matthew Kelly ("Report ranks college high for pork spending," The Dartmouth, Oct. 13) about federal appropriations. Mr. Kelly's story briefly described the work undertaken at Dartmouth's Institute for Security Technology Studies (ISTS), and he fairly recounted my initial discussions with Senator Judd Gregg.

It is important, however, to acknowledge the significance of Senator Gregg's foresight in recognizing four years ago that in the post-Cold War era, terrorism would represent the most significant emerging threat to American economic well being and our national security. While I suggested that Dartmouth research and expertise could fill a national need in the area of cyber technology, Senator Gregg understood that national priority and took action on it, leading to the founding of ISTS.

Since then, the scope of ISTS has grown considerably. Today, the institute continues to develop under the leadership of Martin Wybourne, the ISTS executive director and associate dean in Arts and Sciences, and David Kotz, the ISTS director of research and development and professor of computer science. The research conducted at ISTS is helping address the many challenges of cyber security, homeland security, infrastructure protection and first responder technology.

I also want to point out that the work at ISTS undergoes rigorous review by our federal funding agencies. To ensure that each project addresses nationally-recognized critical areas of cyber security and homeland security research and development, ISTS and the Office of Domestic Preparedness (part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security) have established a research advisory review board to assess and evaluate the merit and rigor of ISTS projects. Additionally, under leadership of the Justice Department, a multi-agency working group has in the past regularly reviewed each project brought forward for funding.

Details about ISTS, which is a program reporting to the Provost's Office, can be found at <www.ists.dartmouth.edu>. I invite The Dartmouth's readers to visit this site to learn more.