In National League, Cubs primed to end frustration

Though it was only yesterday that the calendar read "September," playoff baseball is upon us, as teams now battle it out to earn the right to play in the 100th edition of the World Series. This season, the National League featured one of the more captivating pennant races in recent memory, for though two teams, Atlanta and San Francisco, each won at least 100 games, seven other teams fought for the two remaining postseason berths well into September.

When the dust settled, only perennial also-rans Chicago and Florida were left standing as the NL Central and Wild Card Champions, respectively. Unfortunately for these two underdogs, their struggles may just be beginning, as each of them now must face a powerhouse opponent in the first round of the playoffs.

The Marlins face the San Francisco Giants in what could be a one-sided affair. The Giants are led by the ageless Barry Bonds (.339 BA, 45 HR, 89 RBI, .528 OBP), who continues to shatter records on his way to Cooperstown. However, the rest of the Giants lineup is suspect, as the team sorely misses the secondary run-producer that the departed Jeff Kent provided.

The Giants will be buoyed by strong starting pitching in the number one and two spots with Cy Young candidate Jason Schmidt (17-5, 2.34 ERA, 208 strikeouts) and mid-season acquisition Sidney Ponson (17-12, 3.75 ERA). Beyond them, though, are soft tossing veteran southpaw Kirk Rueter (10-5, 4.53 ERA), who inspires fear in nobody, and rookie Jerome Williams (7-5, 3.30 ERA) who, though promising, has no postseason experience.

Florida has rallied behind new manager Jack McKeon, and top run-producer Mike Lowell's (.277 BA, 32 HR, 109 RBI), whose broken hand has healed, so the offense may be able to take full advantage of speedy table-setters Luis Castillo (.314 BA, .381 OBP, 21 SB) and Juan Pierre (.305 BA, .361 OBP, 64 SB). The Marlins' young pitching staff may be cause for concern, as no starter has post-season experience, and only closer Ugueth Urbina can truly be considered a championship-caliber hurler.

In the other matchup, the Chicago Cubs, including former Big Green hurler Mike Remlinger '88, will take on the Atlanta Braves in a classic pitching vs. offense battle. Atlanta led the league in runs scored with 907, and features a fearsome lineup led by Gary Sheffield (.329 BA, 39 HR, 131 RBI) and the resurgent Javy Lopez (.327 BA, 43 HR, 109 RBI). The pitching staff should be helped by the return of dominant closer John Smoltz (1.12 ERA, 45 saves), who missed several weeks with an elbow injury, as the aging Greg Maddux (15-11, 3.97 ERA) and Coors Field refugee Mike Hampton (14-8, 3.84 ERA) will be asked to play major roles behind ace Russ Ortiz (21-7, 3.81 ERA).

The Cubs have a cadre of young arms led by wunderkind Mark Prior (18-6, 2.43 ERA, 245 strikeouts), who along with Kerry Wood and Carlos Zambrano forms the most impressive power pitching staff in all of baseball. Unfortunately, their bullpen is erratic, relying on a journeyman closer in Joe Borowski, and has-beens like Dave Veres and Antonio Alfonseca to protect leads. Much like the Giants, the Small Bears' offense is one deep in the form of Sammy Sosa (.279 BA, 40 HR, 103 RBI). However, the Cubs have more dependable middle-of-the-order depth than the Giants in the form of Moises Alou and the surprising Eric Karros, re-claimed off the Dodgers' scrap heap.

So, who will take the NL pennant? The Marlins will be handcuffed by their inexperience. The Giants do not have the lineup to advance to the fall classic for the second straight season, as even a short cold streak by Bonds would sink such a fragile squad. The Braves have an unbelievable offense, but their rotation is too weak to hold up under the rigors of postseason play.

That leaves the Cubs with their dominant power rotation, which is tailor-made for a short series, and solid-if-unspectacular lineup claiming the NL flag, and setting up what is sure to be an exciting match up with Boston in the "Lovable Loser" World Series, which will end nearly a century's worth of lamentation by one group of hungry yet devoted fans, and only add spite to the bitter taste of a New England winter for the other. Cubs over BoSox in 6.