Green drops in-state field hockey battle to Wildcats

Behind three goals from forward Katie White, the University of New Hampshire defeated the Dartmouth field hockey team, 4-0, Wednesday night at Scully-Fahey Field.

Dartmouth (0-9, 0-3 Ivy) remained winless through the first nine games of the season while intrastate rival UNH improved to 5-8 on the year.

The Wildcats were able to jump on the board less than seven minutes into the game on a goal from Caitlin Gillen. At the 17:58 mark, White found the back of the net to increase the lead to 2-0. UNH would score one more time in the first half as they were given a penalty corner as time expired on the clock. White was able to knock in the loose ball to give the Wildcats a 3-0 advantage going into the break. On the period, New Hampshire outshot Dartmouth 9-1 and had five penalty corners to the Big Green's four.

Dartmouth remained positive and played hard throughout the second half. The Big Green made several strong attacks on some great passing, but was unable to put the ball in the back of the net.

UNH would score one more time with 28:44 left, as White completed the hat-trick on a pass from Gillen.

Dartmouth finished the game with nine penalty corners compared to New Hampshire's eight, but was outshot 11 to 4.

"Unfortunately, [Wednesday] night's game didn't fall our way due to our lack of shots inside our attacking zone," said Head Coach Amy Fowler. "We have some beautiful passing combinations, but they result in a turnover rather than a shot, corner or a goal. Until we start to capitalize in our attacking end, we will continue to find it difficult to put another team away."

Next on the schedule for Dartmouth is Ivy League rival Yale on Saturday afternoon in New Haven. The Bulldogs come into the game with a 4-5 record, 1-1 in the Ivy League.

"Looking ahead to the weekend," said coach Fowler, "the players remain positive in their attitude and continue to work hard. Yale is a decent team that will come out with something to prove. They have had their own ups and downs this fall. The have some strong freshmen and several experienced upperclasswomen who will give us a run for our money. If we can put Yale's defense on their heels, we will put ourselves at a huge advantage. Every Ivy game is important, no matter what's happened prior to this game, each of us wants and needs the win, especially for our final league standing."

Following the game against Yale, the Big Green will return home to face Vermont on Sunday afternoon.

"Vermont should prove to be another dog fight," said coach Fowler. "Vermont is aggressive and quick. We are a team with perhaps more finesse, but again, we must find a way to finish the ball in our attacking end."

The game will be played at 3 pm at Scully-Fahey Field.