N.H. College Reps meet for convention

Saturday, in a tucked away corner of Robinson Hall, the New Hampshire College Republicans held their state convention. Delegates from Dartmouth, Franklin Pierce College and New England College voted in elections and discussed what they did in their local chapters to get more people involved.

"This was more of a meeting to get the show up and running," said Sarah Stevens, a junior at Franklin Pierce College and the newly-elected chairman of New Hampshire College Republicans. "We'll focus on the club as a whole and start hitting different political fields."

Saturday's convention was informal, with 24 people in attendance. A larger, more formal NHCR convention will take place in February or April, timed to coincide with the state Young Republicans convention.

"Other states have more elaborate conventions ... but we needed to have a convention as soon as possible," said Thomas Roberts, the field representative from the College Republican National Committee.

NHCR wanted elections to take place soon, because its chairman moved to Massachusetts last year while still trying to run NHCR.

Stevens cited a lack of leadership as a reason why the state's College Republicans chapters had little contact with each other. A major goal for this year is to rebuild communications between chapters.

"We're very excited to do this. It's a great opportunity, and we hope to cooperate more with other colleges," said Meg Thering '05, president of Dartmouth's College Republicans chapter.

The College Republicans chapters at Dartmouth, University of New Hampshire, Franklin Pierce College, New England College, Keene State College and St. Anselm College comprise the NHCR.