How to lose a bad film in 10 days

Big, scary green monsters, 40 year-old women dating men half their age and prancing around in bikinis barely big enough to fit their youngest daughters, not to mention the surprising popularity of animated fish and men in dresses (sorry Keanu, but we're just not feeling it). Yes, from Justin to Kelly and from dumb to dumberer, it's been a crazy summer in Hollywood.

In a country where Jim Carrey is God, where a ditzy blonde can manipulate the U.S. government, and where Mandy Moore can be considered an "actress," what has happened to the movies? Has the harsh summer sun melted away everything but artificial, manufactured chick flicks and plotless action sequences? Has classic film as we know it been devoured by the Hulk and buried under the sea in a Caribbean pirate ship? Where does one have to go these days to find a quality movie?

Luckily, the answer is: "nowhere." Film Movement, a new company headed by Larry Meistrich, is an innovative and unique way to see quality films all year long without ever having to leave your room (think: Hanover winters). Each month, Film Movement members receive a DVD of an award-winning foreign or independent film to own. Every other month, these members also receive free admission to screenings of films released theatrically as part of the Film Movement Series, a national film series in association with the nation's leading art-house theaters. Not only does Film Movement allow you to skip that treacherous drive through seven feet of snow and minus 30-degree weather to the West Leb theaters to see Arnold Schwarzenegger take over the world for the 76th time, but it also provides a wonderful way to see entertaining yet intellectually-stimulating films.

Film clubs have also become ubiquitous all around the country. In these "book clubs for the movie-lover," members meet regularly to view and discuss the monthly films. "We are trying to do for films what Oprah did for books," CEO Larry Meistrich said.

Indeed, Film Movement posts discussion questions for the DVD of the month on their website so members can be stimulated even after the film is over. How many Disney movies have you discussed for days after a screening? And how many films have you received on DVD the same day the film opens in theaters? Film Movement has revolutionized the relationship between theater run and DVD release. Last month's feature film, "Manito," which received critical acclaim all over the country, including a special jury prize at the Sundance Film Festival, rave reviews from the New York Times and two thumbs up from Ebert and Roeper, opened in theaters in New York, Los Angeles and other major cities at the same time that subscribers from Alabama to Washington watched the FILM MOVEMENT from page 7

DVD in the comfort of their own homes.

Just because Hanover may be far from, well, civilization, doesn't mean that you shouldn't have the same access to quality films as people living in the center of New York. For just a small annual fee adding up to $15.75 per month, members receive 12 award-winning, independently-produced films chosen from well-known film festivals such as Sundance, Cannes and Toronto. Members can also subscribe just for a one- or three-month period.

"What's so great about Film Movement is we are creating a direct relationship between the customer and filmmakers," Meistrich said. "It's easy, convenient and it suits people's lifestyles. Now film fans won't be culturally or geographically disenfranchised." Great news for Hanover residents.

Film Movement President Curtis Hougland added, "We believe that culturally interested people live everywhere. Today's film distributors would have you believe that they only live in New York and Los Angeles. Film Movement is providing a direct connection between filmmakers and film fans."

Film Movement's current release is a French-Algerian film called "Inch'Allah Dimanche," by French-Algerian filmmaker Yamina Benguigui. Drawing on her own childhood recollections, Yamina Benguigui paints an evocative portrait of a young immigrant woman from Algeria and her experiences in France. "Inch'Allah Dimanche" -- or "Inch'Allah Sunday" -- is a moving exploration of the problems Zouina faces and her struggle to gain some measure of independence and dignity despite overwhelming odds. Through evocative imagery and emotionally jarring performances, the film presents a harrowing impression of Algerian family life in 1970s France and challenges the xenophobic tendencies commonly associated with French society.

"Our films are a high level of quality and we are taking chances," Meistrich said. "These films are exclusive to Film Movement."

Next month's film "OT: Our Town" follows the students at Dominguez High School as they set out to put on the school's first theatrical production in more than 20 years. Amazingly, Thornton Wilder's famous play about life in rural Grover's Corners strikes close to home among the underprivileged kids living in Compton, Calif. As they rehearse for opening night, the students get the chance to re-imagine their own town, not only transforming themselves into the residents of Grover's Corners, but Grover's Corners into Compton. In this powerful documentary, the students of Compton discover the joy of transformation itself: the opportunity that theater gives students to become a character and to get up on stage, confident in their abilities, and show their community what they are capable of.

In September, the feature debut of Dominique Standaert, "HOP" tells the story of Justin (Kalomba Mbuyi) and his father Dieudonn (Ansou Diedhou), illegal immigrants from Burundi living in Brussels. After Dieudonn is caught by the police and immediately slated for deportation, Justin is taken in by a retired anarchist (Jan Decleir) and his girlfriend (Antje De Boeck), who unite to help Justin get his father back. This morally rich, lightly uplifting story is shot in black and white, yet is an incredibly colorful film and a great way to bring in the new semester.

In October, the famously funny and talented Philip Seymour Hoffman will grace your televisions as he plays himself -- genial host, skeptical interrogator and increasingly cynical narrator and reporter of political luminaries, ordinary people and stars -- in a documentary about the apathetic tendencies of today's youth and a controversial look at the 2000 presidential race. Apathy is something to which the average Dartmouth student can relate, and this film will definitely keep you on the edge of your seats. Film Movement is also hoping to hold screenings of its films on college campuses such as Dartmouth all over the country to promote intellectually stimulating films among students.

So if you've had your fill of popcorn with a side of Hollywood sugar-coated garbage and have yet to receive your invitation to the Cannes Film Festival, then bring the festival home. Better than a snowstorm on the day of your econ final and more fulfilling than a Hop breakfast sandwich on a winter day, a membership with Film Movement is sure to please. So before you vote for Reese Witherspoon for President of the United States and pray to Jim Carrey before bed, be aware that there is a wonderful way to enjoy quality films all year long without ever having to cross the New Hampshire border.