Tennis player, doctor among honorary degree recipients

Dartmouth's 2003 commencement ceremonies will see seven outstanding individuals receive honorary College degrees. This select group has distinguished itself by pursuing goals and developing methods that are consistent with the College's intellectual and ethical ideals. The recipients include Dr. Rita R. Colwell, Dr. Marilyn Hughes Gaston, Robert P. Henderson '53, Billie Jean King, David McCullough, W.S. Merwin and Frederick B. Whittemore '53.

Dr. Colwell is the director of the National Science Foundation and an expert on microbiology. She is a leading voice in national efforts to improve the quality of science education. She has written 16 books and contributed material to over 600 scientific journals.

Dr. Gaston is a former Assistant Surgeon General and a longtime advocate of improved healthcare for the poor. Her efforts have advanced the cause of primary health care for disadvantaged groups. She has worked to aid youths with sickle cell conditions and has written a book about personal health called "Prime Time: The African American Women's Complete Guide to Midlife Health and Wellness."

Mr. Henderson has a long history of service to the College. He is a member of the Class of 1953, and he received an M.B.A. from the Tuck School of Business in 1954. Mr. Henderson is a former member of the Board of Trustees, a former member of the Tuck School Board of Overseers and the chairman of the President's Advisory Committee. He has also held positions at companies such as Honeywell, IBM and Itek Corp.

Ms. King built her name as an exceptional professional tennis player and advocate of women's rights. She has accumulated 20 Wimbledon titles and won the U.S. Open four times. In 1994, Sports Illustrated ranked her fifth on a list of the 40 most important athletes of all time. Mrs. King has also coached the U.S. Olympic Tennis Team. She supports a range of causes including the Elton John AIDS Foundation and the Women's Sports Foundation.

Mr. Merwin is an internationally renowned poet and activist. His writing career spans eight decades " he wrote Presbyterian hymns at the age of five -- and has been distinguished by Pulitzer Prize and Tanning Prize recognition. Mr. Merwin has been named Poetry Co-Consultant to the Library of Congress.

Mr. Whittemore is a Dartmouth alumnus and veteran financial advisor. He is a member of the Class of 1953 and a graduate of the Tuck School of Business. Mr. Whittemore's career at Morgan Stanley saw him advising some of the world's largest companies, including AT&T, General Motors and Royal Dutch Shell. He has advised the governments of the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Belgium, Sweden and Australia, among others. He has served as a member of the Board of Overseers for the Tuck School, and his philanthropic contributions to the college are recorded on the walls of several campus buildings.