SA nixes 'Big Green' as new mascot option

Shortly after news spread of the Big Green Bean's closing, Student Assembly leaders proposed measures intended to preserve the features of the soon-to-be-defunct campus coffee shop.

At yesterday's meeting, the Assembly passed a resolution to allocate $1,000 for a Big Green Bean pilot program, set to take effect next Fall term. Half of the sum is earmarked for "coffee machines and supplies," with the remaining funds to subsidize bake sales and student performances. Assembly Vice President Julia Hildreth '05 suggested the program might help "subsidize free desserts and coffee one night a week in the Big Green Bean."

The resolution further pledged that the Assembly would "work with DDS and Student Activities to preserve the jobs of all student employees currently working at the Big Green Bean."

A student group exploring the possibility of a College mascot also updated the Assembly on its progress. Group members said that Dartmouth cannot take on the Big Green as its official mascot because it is already the College's official nickname.

Representatives also discussed plans to survey the Dartmouth community over the remainder of the term.

"We're going to use e-mail to gauge student and alumni opinion. We'll present recommendations at the end of the term," Natalie Walsh '06 said.

Another resolution yesterday modified the Assembly's constitution to eliminate the administration and faculty relations committee. According to the text of the amendment, the academic affairs committee will assume the duties of the eliminated committee -- namely, maintaining "faculty relations."

"We want to consolidate so we can work more efficiently," Student Body President Janos Marton '04 said. "Right now we have seven committees, and it'd be nice if we could have fewer."

The Assembly also devoted a substantial portion of the meeting to an open discussion of its broader hopes for the Big Green Bean. In a plan outlined two days ago, student leaders called for Lone Pine Tavern to assimilate the items presently on the menu at the Bean in the late evening. The first floor of the Collis Center would retain its Bean-themed decor.

"Lone Pine itself would be a coffeehouse after nine o'clock with snacks," Marton said.

Although students would no longer be able to order food and drinks at their tables, the Assembly proposal would not eliminate the undergraduate jobs at the Bean. Current Bean employees would presumably work at Lone Pine.

After reductions were announced earlier this week, Bean proponents circulated BlitzMail messages implying that the Assembly had been responsible for closing the Bean. Assembly members denied that the decision had been theirs. "There's a lot of misperception on campus about how this happened," Hildreth said.

Student leaders cited adverse economic conditions and widening losses sustained by the Dartmouth Dining Service as causes for the Bean's imminent cutback. Marton said the Bean "was losing more money than DDS could make up in its budget." The Bean is jointly funded by DDS and the Committee on Student Activities.