Men's golf takes eighth-place finish

The Dartmouth men's golf team finished eighth at the New England Championship that concluded Sunday, March 13.

The Big Green opened the tournament with 312 and then improved to 306 for a 36-hole total of 618.

Kenan Yount '06 earned a top-15 finish, leading Dartmouth with 76-74 -- 150 on the par 72 Triggs Memorial golf course.

"This fall I wasn't performing as well as I would have liked, but now I'm hitting the ball a lot farther and straighter," Yount said, "which has really helped me gain some more confidence and patience on the course."

Dartmouth's other standout freshman, Chaki Kobayashi, was just two strokes behind Yount with a strong showing of 78-76 -- 152.

Captain Jero Esteve '03 scored 80-76 -- 156, Mark Christman '06 fired 80-80 -- 160; and Stephen Gruber '05 walked away with 78-85 -- 163.

"After not playing real golf for like, four months, I think we played pretty well. Although we still sucked relative to everyone else, which simply leaves us more room to kick Ivy butts at Ivies," Gruber said. "We're coming man. Princeton, we're coming for you."

The men, like the women, will be competing in the Ivy League Championships in New Jersey on April 26-27.

Yount too is approaching the Ivy Championships with poise.

"Winning the Ivies has been our year-long goal, and I am very confident that if we play well, we will be in contention for the title."