Clayton and Olsen shine in equestrian show at Morton Farm

Lindsay Clayton '04 and John Olsen '05 qualified for Zones in open fences and walk/trot/canter, respectively, in Saturday's competition at Morton Farm.

Clayton and Olsen placed second within their classes at the regional competition to qualify for next Saturday's Zones.

"I was thrilled with the performance of our two Dartmouth Equestrian members that advanced on to the Zone finals," coach Sally Batton said.

"Clayton put in one of her best Open Fences rounds this entire year, and it earned her a spot at the Zones. Olsen has been improving steadily throughout the year and excelled today, which placed him second in a class of 10."

Competing in Zones will mean hard work for Olsen and Clayton during the next week, but also has instilled a great sense of achievement.

"We ride in a very competitive region," Clayton said, "so simply advancing to Zones feels like a big accomplishment."

"I am going to be riding a lot this week in preparation -- hopefully about two times per day. The most important thing for me through all of it is to remember to have fun."

Olsen added, "The most exciting thing about Zones, though, will be to go as a team, or at least as a large number of the people from the team, and represent Dartmouth."

Batton has high expectations for her riders. "I expect both John and Lindsay to ride well at Zones and hopefully proceed onto the IHSA National Championships," she said. Nationals will be held the first weekend in May in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Captain Sara Glazer '04, Ashley McCaughan '04, Katie Colfer '04 and Jill Carr '03 also competed in Saturday's Regionals. McCaughan and Colfer both placed in the top five in their classes in both fences and flat. Carr placed third in walk/trot/canter, just short of qualifying for Zones. Glazer also rode well, placing fifth in open fences and fourth in the Cacchione Challenge Class.

At Regionals and other shows, a single judge determines the placing in each class. While the judges are qualified to make decisions, there is often little difference between first and third place.

"I also think it is important to note how arbitrary the line is of who gets to go to Zones and who doesn't," Olsen said. "There were so many people there who rode incredibly [well]."

After the morning fences classes, honors were awarded to the top riders and schools. In the final team standings, determined by points accumulated during the fall and spring seasons, Dartmouth placed third overall.

"Not only has the riding improved [this year], but so has the attitude," Glazer said. "Every team member comes to all practices and workouts ready to work hard but also ready to have fun. It's been a truly enjoyable year as well as a successful one."

Captains Glazer and Clayton also received honors as the fourth and sixth best open riders. Glazer and Clayton have led the team well this year as evidenced by their strong personal finishes and the high team morale. Their leadership also extends to great respect for each other.

"I am especially grateful to my co-captain Sara Glazer," Clayton said. "I not only have tremendous respect for her riding ability and her opinions on every aspect of equestrian activity, but I also appreciate her constant support of my riding and her pivotal impact on the success of this team throughout our first season as captains."

Clayton and Olsen will advance to Zones this Saturday at Stoneleigh-Burnham in Greenfield, Mass. The team is also looking forward to competing at two post-season shows: the New England Classic in two weeks and the All-Ivy at Cornell on Apr. 27.