Students want foosball, GreenPrint in dorms

Dorm improvement has never tasted this good. Luring students with Lou's cakes and pies, the Dorm Improvement Group have been holding informational sessions throughout the week to clue the campus in to their mission to furnish College dormitories with the amenities students want.

Formed this term by Student Assembly, DIG has been blessed with an enviable treasury of $20,000 from the Assembly and the Office of Residential Life for the next two terms in order to fulfill any student's suggestion for improving the social and study spaces.

The Assembly has organized outreach events this week in part to better inform students about DIG.

"I think its important for people to know that this is a pretty simple process, and they're going to see change." Todd Rabkin Golden '06, the vice president of DIG and an Assembly member, said.

After completing a few questions, students can submit a proposal to DIG for what they believe would be a valuable addition to their respective dorm. Applications can be found through the Assembly web page.

The most common requests have so far been for DVD players, GreenPrint kiosks, the occasional trampoline and, of course, foosball tables.

"I want to foster an atmosphere of almost unhealthy competition between members of the floors to see who would be the ultimate champion at foosball," Cole Entress '06 said. "Foosball rocks."

Golden said that foosball tables are feasible options, but it has been difficult to entertain all suggestions due to maintenance concerns. For instance, it would be problematic to manage all of the cues and balls that accompany pool tables, and trampolines may be a safety hazard.

"I think that GreenPrint is a good idea because it might be more convenient," Golden said.

Fortunately, representatives from the ORL also staff the DIG. Experienced ORL employees have invaluable experience as to what kinds of suggestions would work in the dorms. DIG also plans to have ORL buy the items of which they approve at discounted prices.

DIG has also fielded requests that fall outside of their jurisdiction.

One student requested that urinals be installed in all campus bathrooms in order to conserve water, but such suggestions are more apt to be handled by ORL, Golden said.

"There's definitely a difference between maintenance and improvement," Sara Hudson '05, an Assembly member present at the Russell-Sage outreach event, said.

To avoid replacing what does not need replacing, DIG conducted an inventory of all campus study and social areas.

DIG received nearly 30 applications when it came time to fill its ranks with students committee members, who were not limited to Assembly members, earlier this term. The group has met about four times this term, and will continue meeting in the future.

DIG was established by a resololution sponsored by the Student Life Committee. ORL also must ensure that the things DIG buys adhere to fire codes.