The College Responds

Speculation is a thriving phenomenon in our society. At best, it can be a constructive force to generate potentially plausible explanations and then to test them for accuracy and efficacy. At worst, speculation can be a destructive force shaped by unhealthy cynicism rather than healthy skepticism.

Since it has been the topic of recent speculation, I want to share with you some accurate information about the timing of the Nov. 25 announcement concerning Dartmouth's swimming and diving program. As I stated at that time, the timing of the announcement was intended to allow current and prospective students as much time as possible to consider their options. That was especially a concern to those prospective students who had applied early decision and who had expressed an interest in these programs. We knew that the timing of the announcement would invite criticism and lead some to make cynical allegations about motive. There is clearly no such thing as a good time to deliver unwelcome news.

In early December, representatives of the Student Assembly and the swimming and diving teams asked that Athletic Director Josie Harper and I remain open to the idea that it might be possible to craft a resolution that would address the College's financial needs while also making it possible to maintain the swimming and diving program. Josie and I have been working closely over the past few weeks with students, parents and alumni to explore some of the ideas that were generated.

The discussions over the past month have been open and constructive, reflecting a shared commitment to collaborative problem-solving and direct communication. The representatives of the Student Assembly and the captains of the swimming and diving teams, in particular, have played a very helpful and important role in facilitating this dialogue.