Rhee praises new Panhell execs

If temperatures in Hanover have been slightly warmer in the past few days, it may be on account of the fiery enthusiasm of Panhellenic Council president-elect Soojung Rhee '04 for her new job. Beginning in February, Rhee will assume leadership of the council, which is the self-governing body of the College's sorority system.

Rhee is particularly excited about the newly-elected nine-member executive committee, picked last Thursday evening, which includes representatives from each of the College's six sororities. "We're so fortunate that we're going to be able to draw in all of the positive qualities from all of the houses," said Rhee.

The new president is a biochemistry major and member of Kappa Kappa Gamma. She is also active in the Nathan Smith Pre-Medical Society and the Campus Presbyterian Church. The president-elect has no firm career plans: "It's an open slate right now, but I think I'm heading toward the scientific end of the deal," Rhee said.

Rhee speaks with great satisfaction of her past experience with the Greek system. "I've met a lot of people that I would never have met if I wasn't in a house," she said.

In particular, Rhee described the initial experience of sisterhood as a new and exciting one because of her family background. "I had only a brother and parents, so for me to have other sisters is different," she said. "It's been very interesting."

Although some critics have labeled the Greek system as hostile to racial minorities in the past, Rhee, who is of Korean descent, said that she had not encountered discrimination in her Greek involvement. She reported feeling "some insecurities" in College life as a whole but none associated with sorority life -- after her decision to rush, Rhee said, "everything else fell into place."

Rhee described her prime motivation in pursuing office as "a strong desire to serve the Greek community." She served on Panhell repeatedly before her run for president last week, representing Kappa as a delegate during Winter term last year.

The newly-elected president described departing Panhell head Ann Chang '03 as a role-model for her own leadership. Rhee lauded Chang, who is also a Kappa, as "very smart."

"I hope I can be as great a president as Ann," said Rhee.