National groups question Sununu's education stance

A much-debated topic in the recent election, N.H. Senator-elect John E. Sununu's commitment to education continues to be questioned by Democrats and watchdog groups.

A pamphlet that was distributed on campus by Dartmouth's Young Democrats prior to the election asserted that Sununu voted five times against Pell Grant increases while serving in the U.S. House of Representatives.

However, according to Sununu's election campaign office, he "voted to increase the maximum allowable Pell Grant from $2,700 in 1996 to $4,000 in 2002."

This discrepancy seems to be a matter of perspective. Sununu voted against an amendment to the 1997 Higher Education Act that increased Pell Grant awards for high school students ranked within the top 10 percent of their graduating class.

In this instance, Sununu's "no" vote was in line with the overwhelming majority of Republicans -- the amendment passed nonetheless. But Sununu did vote for the final bill, along with most of the House.

Pell Grants provide financial assistance to approximately 4 million American students each year, with a total budget of almost $9 billion. Last year the average award nationwide was $2,057.

Ten percent of Dartmouth students receive Pell Grants, with an average award of $2,348, according to the Office of Financial Aid.

In a summary of Sununu's record on higher education provided by Julie Teer, the communications director for the congressman's senatorial campaign, the Senator was depicted as having a strong commitment to increasing funding of Pell grants.

He was credited with supporting bills to lower Federal Stafford student loan interest rates; increase the maximum Pell Grant award; almost triple special education funding; and increase by over 52 percent the funding for the TRIO program.

The TRIO program provides support to college students from low-income families in which neither parent graduated from college.

Sununu's involvement in educational matters, though, is limited. Known for his fiscal conservatism, he has served on the House Appropriations and House Budget Committees.

In the case of special education funding, the Budget Committee plays a key role, but the bulk of education legislation is first determined in the Committee on Education and the Workforce.

Any subsequent votes are on finalized bills covering much broader topics. According to Mary Cunningham, spokeswoman for the United States Student Association, a group that monitors legislation on higher education, this distance from the specific issues makes it "really difficult to pinpoint [Sununu's] stance."

Sununu's record on the House Budget Committee shows that he voted along party lines against most amendments to budget resolutions brought forth by the minority Democrats, including a recent amendment to increase Pell Grants, according to a staff member of a Democrat on the committee.

"People often use partisan votes as an excuse and suggest they don't count. That's no excuse," said Kathy Sullivan, chair of the New Hampshire Democratic Party.

Sullivan said that the Pell Grant does not create wasteful spending. "The Pell Grant is a very simple program. Money goes in, money comes out. There really isn't room for excessive bureaucracy."

In January, Sununu will join fellow Republican Judd Gregg in representing New Hampshire in the Senate. Gregg was recently selected as the new chairman of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee.