Damage control on long road trip

Coming off of a disappointing loss to Ivy League-rival Harvard last Saturday in Thompson Arena due to the absence of multiple players, the women's hockey team takes its No. 4 ranking on the road against a pair of ECAC opponents -- Colgate and Cornell.

Dartmouth (3-1-0, 2-1-0 ECAC, 1-1-0 Ivy) should expect two easy games despite missing players due to injury. Colgate and Cornell have a combined record of 4-6, and Cornell is currently in the basement of the ECAC with only one goal scored in the entire season.

Dartmouth, unlike Cornell, has a potent offense that has scored 15 goals in the first four games of the season. Leading the way for the Big Green is the defending scoring champion Carly Haggard '03, who has tallied five goals and two assists on the young season. Haggard registered 33 goals and 29 assists last season and looks to make a repeat performance this year.

Another senior, Correne Bredin '02, recorded the 111th point of her career when she picked up an assist against Providence, and she is only 33 points shy of the Dartmouth career points record for a defenseman.

Following the seniors' leadership, standout Katherine Weatherston '06 has picked up three goals and two assists in four games, including a stunning one-on-one goal against Harvard this past weekend.

To compliment a productive offense, veteran goalie Amy Ferguson '03 should be a dominant force between the pipes. The senior needs only 11 more wins to break the Dartmouth career record set by Kelley Coyne '90. Ferguson also has a .913 career save percentage with a total of 1,424 saves, good for third on the all time list.

With this collection of superstars, the Big Green looks to get back on the winning track this weekend against mildly difficult opponents.

"Cornell is a team that sometimes people overlook and if you do, they could easily pull off an upset," Haggard said. "So we are just going to go this weekend and play both teams like we know how to play and not drop down to their level."

When the ladies return to campus late Saturday night, Dartmouth should have improved its record to 5-1-0 with two victories on the road. The team has high expectations this season, and some experts picked Dartmouth to finish as high as second in the nation. Under the close watch of many faithful fans, the players seem to be at ease with their game.

"We all take it as a compliment to be considered one of the best athletic teams at Dartmouth, and we strive to keep this by working hard day in and day out," Haggard said. "Hopefully it will translate into a successful season."

"I think that this year's team is one of the top teams that has represented women's hockey," Ferguson added.

"This year's team is capable of coming home with a national championship, and that's how I'd love to end my college career."

With players returning from the Four Nations' Cup and various minor injuries, the Dartmouth women's ice hockey team will get its shot at the coveted NCAA title. The road to the Frozen Four might have hit a speed bump last Saturday, but it should continue smoothly this weekend in western New York.

The skating starts at 7 p.m. on Friday at Colgate and at 4 p.m. on Saturday at Cornell.