The Widow's Answer

The Widow's question is an excellent one ("The Widow's Challenge Part II," July 16.). The contradictions of the world are many. Mr. Stevenson, you want the reader to think to take a stand honestly, you just want him to care. Do we determine right from wrong and save the widow or become indifferent and allow her to die? I, Mr. Stevenson, would save the Widow because I value human life, all human life.

To your quips about a life of diversity turned on its head, I say one thing: conclude and make a point. I believe in cultural tolerance and coalition, but not intellectual tolerance. When it comes to the question of right and wrong, I believe the journey into the "Sins of the World" begins with the intense examination of one's own soul.

The value of a writer is found in the price that was paid for his soul. He understands the slow digression of the reader. Many good ideas have been lost in the onslaught of words, words carrying concepts yet lacking clarity and adequate definitions. The grace that took C.S. Lewis to delicately pen was truly a gift. Great writing presents the reader with a complex idea in clear and simple terms. The ability to share one's thoughts is an honor for a writer. An author enters into a dialogue with his or her readers of shared interaction in a discussion. A writer does not mount the nearest column with his lecture notes and condescending tones. Even Christ stepped down to show sinners the way. He didn't bury his argument amidst "sprataztora" or words without conclusions.

Great writers and educators are not as cruel to leave their audiences clawing at sentences. They provoke thought in the hearts and minds of the reader; they leave condescension alone and shelve the witty attempts at sarcasm. Any writer can speak; few can provoke the desire to listen.

Therefore, Mr. Stevenson, I think you can take the widow down from the stake and join the conversation. There will be no flames today. The greatest parables were told by Jesus Christ, I suggest we leave them to Him and resume our place among the masses for the lesson.