Fate of N. Fairbanks remains up in the air

College administrators are mulling possible uses for the mostly-vacant North Fairbanks Hall, and among the suggestions is a new student dance club.

It's unclear whether a new club there would replace Poison Ivy, the dance club that opened in the basement of Collis Center in the fall of 2000.

"We'd end up taking that [decision] back to the students," Collis director Joe Cassidy said.

College Provost Barry Scherr is considering two different proposals for the North Fairbanks space, which includes the majority of the building's first floor.

One option is to create a multi-purpose space. When not being used as a dance club, the room could be a rehearsal and performance facility for dance and theater groups, Scherr said.

The other possibility is to create a production studio for DTV, the Film and Television Studies Department and other media-production groups.

Scherr said the latter option would come at a "very minimal cost" to the College, since he said the space has already been used for similar purposes in the past, when Instructional Services has occupied the space.

Using North Fairbanks as a dance club and performance space, though, would come with a "substantial cost," he said.

"We'd have to upgrade restrooms and do a certain amount of renovation," he said, which would include making the building accessible to people with disabilities.

Student Assembly member Mike Perry '03 last month proposed the creation of a student-run dance club in an off-campus space, such as the recently vacated home of the Patrick Henry's restaurant on Main St.

Perry said Patrick Henry's is no longer a possibility because the property is not for sale, but that he'd like to see the College buy another downtown space for use as a student social space, perhaps one that serves alcohol.

"If the College were serious about trying to acquire something, they would be vigilant about looking for those opportunities of spaces opening up," Perry said.

Still, Perry advocates the use of North Fairbanks as a student social and performance space, rather than a production studio.

"DTV and Film Studies have a need for the space, too, but one of the most burning needs is for more student spaces on campus," he said.

Cassidy stressed that Poison Ivy was originally intended as a temporary facility, since the dance floor, lighting and sound system can all be easily moved elsewhere -- such as to a new "black box theater" space in North Fairbanks, he said.

"[Poison Ivy] is smaller than we wanted. It should be bigger, taller, and include a beverage station," Cassidy said.

Cassidy said he envisions the creation of a student focus group to decide how the space can best be used.

He said the College's commitment to building more social spaces is strong, after architectural consulting firm Center-brook's 1999 student surveys that overwhelmingly indicated a need for such spaces, particularly a dance club.

Cassidy called North Fairbanks "an exciting opportunity."

"If it doesn't come to fruition in North Fairbanks, I know the College has a commitment to doing it somewhere else," he said.