Fromherz '02 receives Fulbright

For most high school and college seniors, a small envelope in the mail is met with dread. For Allen Fromherz '02, though, it was an unassuming envelope that recently delivered the good news of his selection as a 2002 Fulbright Scholar.

"Usually, when they use a small envelope, you think it's going to be a rejection letter," Fromherz said. "But then I opened it up and it said, 'Congratulations, you have been selected as a Fulbright Scholar, and you are now part of a network of Fulbright scholars across the globe.' I was very much excited."

Described by anthropology professor Dale Eickelman as a serious scholar who seems to truly enjoy the learning process, Fromherz will use his Fulbright Scholarship to further his studies in Morocco. There, he plans to research the interaction between tribes and cities, the history of Morocco and the history of Africa.

More specifically, Fromherz plans to conduct case studies, including one on an ancient Roman city with well-preserved ruins.

"What is so fascinating about this city is that it isn't just a Roman city. It was occupied until the 18th century, and then it became an Islamic city. I'm going to be looking at it as a Roman city and the interaction with the surrounding tribes," Fromherz said.

Among his long list of activities and accomplishments, Fromherz serves as the publisher of the Dartmouth History and Classics Journal, which is currently in its second year of operation.

"Founding the History and Classics Journal is the accomplishment of which I am probably most proud," Fromherz said.

Fromherz said the process of publishing the journal doesn't just further his fascination with history; it also providing a valuable learning arena.

"It helped me to learn so much about interacting with small groups of people, things that you cannot possibly learn from sitting and reading a book," Fromherz said.

Besides winning the respect of his publishing peers, Fromherz also receives high praise from his professors.

"I've seen a lot of prior Fulbright scholarship applications, but of all the ones that I have seen, Allen's was one of the very best," said Eickelman. "If you masked his identity from me entirely, it would be possible for me to actually think that he was a faculty member."

Those words may be prophetic.

"Being a professor at Dartmouth would be great," Fromherz said. "After graduate school, I'd like to try to become either a professor or somebody involved in diplomacy."

"Either way, I think the Fulbright will be a wonderful way to get a grasp on what I am truly passionate about. You might be successful, but you won't have a fulfilled life without a passion," Fromherz said.

For now, however, he is just looking forward to the adventure that Morocco is sure to bring.

"It really is such a great opportunity to be representing the United States in a very important way," Fromherz said.