Nelson still has it with 'The Great Divide'

Over the last half-century, few figures have had as much impact on the development of American popular music as Willie Nelson.

Early in his career as a songwriter he penned such classics as Patsy Cline's "Crazy," while in the 1970s he blossomed as a preeminent country music superstar.

Now, over 40 years after his debut, Nelson is still going strong at age 68, as evidenced by his latest release, "The Great Divide."

The record mirrors the recent efforts of two fellow rock veterans: Santana's multi-Grammy-winning "Supernatural" and Bob Dylan's critically-acclaimed "Love and Theft."

It parallels Santana's wide use of guest contemporary artists and portrays a buoyant, upbeat tone similar to that of "Love and Theft."

"Upbeat," however, is not a typical adjective to describe Nelson's work. His down-to-earth, rugged image often leads to a rough sound, which truly depicts Nelson at his most effective and powerful.

Nonetheless, while the majority of the songs on "The Great Divide" are unabashedly highly sheened country-pop, the record still stands as a success and a tribute to the wide array of music under Nelson's mastery.

The opening track, "Maria (Shut Up And Kiss Me)," sets the mood for the rest of the album. Written by Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20 fame, the song is an up-tempo pop-rock composition that is driven by jaunty harmonica and horn parts. Here, as is the case throughout much of the record, the music takes some of the edge off Nelson's typically uneven vocals, leading to a more accessible country sound.

His country-pop aspirations peak on the second track, "Mendocino County Line," a duet between Nelson and Lee Ann Womack. Womack's pure, attractive vocals are the perfect contrast to Nelson's rustic style, and the highly glossed ballad works very well.

Nelson produces a more forceful attitude in "Last Stand In Open Country," a plodding rocker that features Kid Rock on vocals. Kid Rock produces a solid country-inflected sound, which complements the more resolute feeling of the tune.

Another Rob Thomas-penned song, "Won't Catch Me Cryin'," a gentle, piano-driven ballad, is the perfect contrast to previous tracks and works well with Nelson's clipped singing style juxtaposed upon a smooth palette of soulful background vocals.

The title track and "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)" recall his traditional stripped-down style. The songs effectively use flamenco guitar work and a blaring fiddle solo to convey a more serious, passionate tone.

A slip into slightly redundant, overproduced pop with "This Face" and "Don't Fade Away" leaves the listener pining for more of the other tracks' style.

Nelson does falter at times. The syrupy "Don't Fade Away," a duet with Brian McKnight, fails to successfully fuse country and R & B.

The most curious song on the record is Nelson's cover of the Cyndi Lauper hit "Time After Time." He pulls it off pretty well, but it is nothing special.

The album finishes strong, however, with two subdued numbers, "Recollection Phoenix," another song written by Rob Thomas, and "You Remain," which features the excellent Bonnie Raitt on background vocals.

These two tracks are especially successful as the production is minimized and Nelson's voice consequently becomes more prominent, resulting in songs with more impact and importance.

In addition to Thomas, Womack, Raitt and Kid Rock, the album receives guest contributions from Sheryl Crow, Bernie Taupin and Alison Krauss.

The vibrant sound dominant on the record demonstrates that Nelson still has something left in the tank. His mature perspective combined with a keen sense of originality and musicianship makes for a relevant and modern musical statement.

On "Last Stand In Open Country" Nelson sings, "I'm still looking for something to prove."

Even at this advanced stage of his remarkable career, with seemingly nothing left to prove, Nelson manages to be as original, intriguing and powerful as ever.