Have a Little More Fun

On a day that will come sooner than you think, when Hanover is just a memory, you will probably realize that diatribes about the exclusivity of the Greek system (the system does try), while admirably passionate, are unnecessary.

Recognize that Dartmouth is an exclusive institution. Despite what admissions says, Dartmouth is not racially diverse. Dartmouth is not composed of an equal mix of people from all different socio-economic groups. On one hand, you talk about exclusion and prejudice and on the other, you rather flippantly paint a picture of all sorority sisters as "white women crammed into tiny clothing and plastered with makeup." You tell me, is that really fair?

Sororities are fun. Sororities are not perfect. Sororities do not subjugate women. Believe it or not, some 19-year-old women think rush is fun. They want to join a group where they can meet 100 new women who do different things and come from different places. They want to have planned social activities to look forward to. They want to wear dresses and go to formals. They want to meet men. Why does it bother you so much why other people decide to join?

Furthermore, life is tough sometimes. We have to learn to deal with rejection, we have to accept the fact that not everyone likes us and we sometimes do things that we would rather not want to do.

I'm not saying you can't question the system. I'm not saying that I never complained. Not only did I complain all the time, but my sisters will attest that when I didn't feel like participating, I stayed home. In retrospect, it was really my loss.

Don't be so quick to judge. Don't automatically assume that people don't want anything to do with you because you wear flannel and jeans (you live in New Hampshire, doesn't everyone wear jeans?). Don't be so serious. Relax and enjoy the best years of your life. Try not to look at the world with the same narrow-mindedness you accuse others of having. And please don't call me putrid.