Brazil LSA+ becomes annual

Most of the student body at Dartmouth spends at least one term abroad, participating in either a Language Study Abroad or a Foreign Study Program. Starting this year, students were able to choose from one more option.

This fall kicked off the first year of the annual LSA+ in Curitiba, Brazil at the Universidade Federal do Parana. Although the College has previously offered students an FSP and an LSA in Brazil in alternating years, this is the first time an LSA+ to the country will be offered every Fall term.

Increased student interest prompted this change, according to Professor Rodolfo Franconi, the program's leader, who noted that more students are taking classes in the Portuguese department.

Franconi said there are many reasons for increased interest in learning Portuguese.

"Brazil is a stable South American economy. The United States, as well as European countries, have many investments in Brazil. If students know Spanish and Portuguese, they can get better jobs than if they just know one language or the other," he said.

Franconi also notes that professors in the Portuguese department are in demand. Dartmouth has one position open, and there are many more across the country.

Dean of Off-Campus Programs Peter Armstrong said that 15 students will be able to go on the LSA+ each fall term, but this past fall only ten decided to take advantage of the opportunity, along with one student in the FSP.

The College now offers an intensive Portuguese 1 each winter, followed by Portuguese 3 in the spring, which make up the prerequisites for the program (so there is still time to register for Portuguese 1 and be in Brazil next fall).

Madea Allen '02, the only student on the Brazil FSP last fall, had been to Brazil before on an LSA and liked it so much that she decided to return.

When asked why she decided to go to Brazil on her first trip, Allen responded, "I had a remote interest to take a different language, other than Spanish or French." After her advisor informed her of the option to go to Brazil sophomore fall, "I said, 'Okay, why not?'"

"When I went for the second time I felt more independent, I knew the language better, and it is good to really know the city." Allen said of the past fall's FSP.

Another student, John Burr '03, enjoyed his LSA+ experience in Brazil, although it was not exactly what he expected.

"I wanted to go because of the image of Brazil -- rainforest, Indians, beaches. That is what people think before they go, but when you are there, you see how many faces Brazil really has," said Burr, adding, "It was unlike anywhere I have been before."

Franconi notes with pride that once they start, students seem to stick with the program. The students on the LSA+ "got so involved that all of them are taking Portuguese 20."

Indeed the LSA+ affected Burr's decisions. "My trip convinced me to minor in Brazilian literature," he said.

The Brazil LSA+ provides plenty of opportunities to branch out as well. According to Franconi, students are taught Cadoeira, a form of martial arts, and can also take advantage of courses surrounding envirnmental issues offered at the nearby Universidade Livre do Meio-Amdiente.

Franconi encourages students to get involved in the Portuguese department and go on the new LSA+, and the alumni of the trip speak positively about the experience.

"For an FSP in general, there is a lot of learning outside the class. Real world experience is the best teacher. Going to the country makes you figure out why you really want, or if you really want, to learn the language." Allen said.