Bosnian youth go home motivated

A Dartmouth program designed to teach Bosnian youths about democratic values is in its final week, but the lessons learned will not soon be forgotten.

Twenty-two high school students and teachers traveled from Bosnia and Herzegovina to Hanover to participate in the Youth Leadership Program, intended to encourage community involvement in a nation torn by a decade of war and polarized by religious and ethnic differences.

National identity and other civic issues were discussed at length during lectures conducted by Dartmouth professors.

"Before I came here, I was not as open to participate in community organizations," program participant Jasmin Omaragic said. "I later realized the goal " to teach us how to improve our own country, to participate more in our community activities."

Omaragic, 17, is an electrical engineering student from Gorazde.

"I saw how simple the things are that we are making so complicated," he added. "It's mostly the older people -- the politicians -- who are trying to prevent contact [between ethnic groups], but we have such a strong group that it doesn't impact us. Our group is proving that we can all live together."

Emir Guso, a sophomore at Gorazde's medicine-focused high school who aspires to become a heart surgeon, agreed on the program's success.

"I have learned something about democracy -- how to be a good leader," he said. Once at home, Guso plans to initiate a program "to give more power to students."

"When I see [American] schools, it's amazing how much freedom there is," he said. "But I think that we learn more at home."

On the privilege enjoyed by American students, teacher Sladjana Curak said, "It depends how you use it. If you use it well, you can do anything, but if you abuse it, what good does it serve?"

Away from a nation where economic and social well-being has been sacrificed by political corruption, the Bosnian students developed a new outlook on their country's future.

"I think I could help make my town united," Minela Kajmak said. "I missed one school year ... because of the fighting, but things are getting better. Our country really needs a good leader."

Dzeldina Hasanovski agreed. "We are the future of Bosnia, so we can fix the problems. We are the new leaders."

Program directors Joshua Thomas '00 and Andrew Garrod, the chair of the education department, emphasized the progress made by YLP participants.

The students "were exposed to new sense of opportunity and the future that lies in front of them," Garrod said. "It's an enormous effort every minute of the day, but they're an extraordinarily good group."

"They're all interested in helping Bosnia heal from the war. I think it's a lot about how you can actually make a difference," Thomas added.

Participants are residing with students from Hanover High School and have also been hosted by families in other towns during the program's duration.

Program participants visited various schools in both the Upper Valley and Massachusetts. They also took sightseeing trips to New York City and Boston and met with the governors of New Hampshire and Vermont.

The program was sponsored by the U.S. Department of State.