Second-Ranked Women's Icers Start Season with UVM Home-and-Home

by Dan Weinberg | 11/2/01 6:00am

The Dartmouth women's hockey team opens its season ranked second in the nation. The team will face off against the Catamounts of Vermont in two games this weekend. Dartmouth will host the second game of the set here at Thompson Arena at 4:00 p.m. tomorrow afternoon.

Vermont is joining Division I this year, and it will have to battle hard against Dartmouth just to scratch out a goal or two in the upcoming games. Dartmouth has a lot of talent again this year, including co-captain forwards Kristen King '02 and Kim McCullough '02. Carly Haggard '03 is the reigning scoring leader, compiling 36 points (21g, 15a) last season.

The Big Green women are the defending regular season ECAC champions, winners of the Ivy League title, and victors of the ECAC tournament. Last year's stellar regular-season play extended into the Frozen Four, where the top-seeded women reached the semifinals. In that round they were surprised by St. Lawrence, 3-1, and went on to lose another tough battle against Harvard, 3-2.

Defending NCAA champion Minnesota-Duluth currently holds the number-one ranking. The team has not dominated early in the season, but it is holding onto a 3-0-1 record. Former NHL farm system goalie Manon Rheame is an assistant coach for the Bulldogs.

Look for the Dartmouth women's hockey team to tear it up on the ice this season. The first game will be at Gutterson Field House in Vermont 7:00 p.m. tonight.