Patriotism: Free with Purchase

Most Americans have probably seen the new type of advertising that has emerged since the Sept. 11 attacks. These new patriotic ads proclaim a company's support of the United States while simultaneously proclaiming the benefits of some need-to-have product. Here are a few examples:

"Large Corporation supports our nation during these tough times. You, too, can support our nation by purchasing this wonderful new blender. With one of its 93 parts made in the United States, you will be helping American workers with your purchase. Now in patriotic red, white, and blue colors and a free 'Kill Osama' stainless steel blade. "

"Gigantic Bank realizes the pain caused by the tragedy of Sept. 11. Let us help you recover by opening a checking account for you today. Ask for our Sept. 11 special, which entitles you to a free book of checks embroidered with patriotic colors and pictures of Mickey Mouse."

"Pharmaceutical Giant's new SuperCure medicine not only helps people suffering from BadDisease, but one in every 18 million packages sold may have a part of its profits donated to a fund that helps the victims of Sept. 11. Pharmaceutical Giant: The leader in medicine, the leader in patriotic philanthropy."

Patriotic advertising has essentially become the norm during these times -- and this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Before deeming this patriotic advertising as perfectly acceptable, however, it's necessary to determine the aims of companies using these types of ads. On the one hand, it's not inconceivable that companies are simply showing their national pride through their ads, something that is arguably necessary at present. There is, however, the considerable possibility that companies are simply exploiting the events of Sept. 11 to sell their products. After all, most companies and corporations are not pillars of integrity and benevolence -- most are simply after large profits. What better way to increase profits than to display what American consumers are looking for right now: American flags and patriotic messages? Why not take advantage of current feelings and throw nationalistic and patriotic symbols into every ad?

These thoughts undoubtedly went through the minds of some advertising agency people somewhere, and once one company started using patriotic advertisements, other companies were essentially forced to follow, lest consumers view them as unpatriotic. Consequently, we now see an abundance of these "patriotic" ads that manipulate Sept. 11 into a mere advertising tool. But companies and businesses are not the only groups guilty of exploiting the terrorist attacks for profit. Consider politicians, the masters of exploitation and trickery. In last week's mayoral and governorship elections, patriotic political advertisements flooded newspapers and television and radio stations. What true politician could resist another method of grabbing more votes? Here are a few examples of these patriotic ads:

"John American has been fighting terrorism since he was in grade school. As his mother recalls, 'John always disliked the kids who were the terrorists in the FBI and Terrorists game, which was a lot like the Cops and Robbers game.' John American's opponent, on the other hand, supports terrorism, according to his college roommate: 'Yeah, he was always running around threatening stuff. Yeah.' John American: he doesn't like terrorism. His opponent does. Make the patriotic choice on Election Day."

"Fred Redwhiteblue has been endorsed by the wife of a firefighter who died in the attacks on Sept. 11. His opponent has been endorsed by Orsama bin Loden, an American whose name is startlingly similar to terrorist Osama bin Laden's. Fred Redwhiteblue played basketball and football in college, two true American sports. His opponent played men's field hockey. That's not American. Be a real American: vote for Fred Redwhiteblue on Tuesday."

"Mel Patriot has new ideas for this new century. In the past, Americans spent millions of dollars supporting children in third-world countries with their contributions of just 30 cents a week. But Mel Patriot has a better idea: with donations of just 30 dollars a week for the rest of eternity, Americans can contribute to the purchase of large, expensive bombs that can blow apart the children in third-world countries that they once supported with their 30 cents a week. Mel Patriot: a man with American values and American ideas."

Like patriotic product advertising, this patriotic political advertising was no doubt thought up by some ad agency somewhere, and once one candidate starting using the ads, other candidates were forced to as well. Thus, like many companies, many candidates used Sept. 11 as an advertising tool to draw in more votes. It's unfortunate that while the Sept. 11 tragedy has brought out the best in many people, certain companies and politicians pursue personal gain under the guise of promoting patriotism. That said, perhaps these two groups are simply heeding the words of our president and returning to "business as usual" by doing what they do best -- competing by any means necessary, including violating common decency, to accomplish their goals.