Women's soccer squad returns to winning ways

The Dartmouth women's soccer team downed Syracuse, 2-0, last night in Upstate N.Y. for its second shutout of the season.

Devon Haskell '03 got the Big Green on the scoreboard first when she scored in the 67th minute of the contest. It was her first goal of the season.

Laura Ashley '03 dribbled down to the endline, where she sent a crossing pass to Haskell, who headed home the eventual game-winner.

Haskell's goal broke a team scoring drought dating to Oct. 3, when the Big Green beat the University of New Hampshire, 3-2. That was also Dartmouth's last win.

Just five minutes later, the Big Green followed up Haskell's marker with a much-needed insurance goal.

Jamie Lang '02 tallied her second netter of the season when Hanna Putnam '03 crossed a ball that Lang blasted into the back of the net for a 2-0 lead.

Dartmouth outshot Syracuse 12-6.

With the win, the Big Green improves to 4-3-1 (1-1-1 Ivy). The loss drops Syracuse to 6-5 (2-3 Big East) and snaps the Orangewomen's seven-game home winning streak.

"You could see from the opening kickoff that we were ready to play," said head coach Erica Walsh.

"There was a lot of excitement. It was freezing, pouring rain and windy, but the girls were jumping around.

"I could tell the attitude was there.

"We've gotten beat by some goals early in games, but I knew that wouldn't happen tonight."

Anne Marbarger '05 played the entire contest in net, recording six saves.

It was the first game in which she did not split time with Julia Shields '04.

"Anne did a fantastic job in goal," Walsh said of Marberger, whose goals-against average this season hovers around the impressive 1.00 mark.

Dartmouth will return home to Chase Field to play Columbia in a crucial Ivy game.

The Lions are 9-3 (1-2 Ivy) and are coming off a 1-0 shutout of Bucknell.

"I think this game was a must win," Walsh said.

"We were at a point after BU [a 2-0 loss last week] where we had a week off and we really needed to rest."

Walsh added: "What we said before this game is that we might as well just be starting our season now.

"We still have teams like Harvard and UConn ahead of us.

"That's the great thing about playing a challenging schedule--you can struggle early in the season and have a great season later on.

"So I'm confident we can still realize our goals in the Ivies and NCAAs."

Dartmouth's match against the Lions will kick off Sunday at noon.

Big Green Note: The Big Green now leads the all-time series with the Orangewomen, 3-1.