Mullins' solo acoustics captivate Dartmouth crowd

Three guitars, a cowboy hat and a sense of humor. Armed with these unlikely accoutrements, singer-songwriter Shawn Mullins played to an utterly enchanted audience in Spaulding Auditorium last Friday night.

Widely known for the sweet-sounding melodies of "Lullaby," and "Shimmer," the RIAA platinum solo acoustic performer showed that he had much more to offer than just his popular hits.

His casual manner and between-set jokes captivated the audience, making the impersonal 900-seat auditorium seem more like an intimate coffeehouse as he crooned his musical anecdotes.

Sitting at a table outside Dartmouth's own Courtyard Caf before the show, the Atlanta native took some time out to tell The Dartmouth a bit about his life and career.

"I never expected to have the kind of success I had with ['Lullaby']," the singer said of the piece which he feels "really got [him] on the map."

According to Mullins, the fictional character to whom he offers soporific musical solace in the song was inspired by a real-life Hollywood girl who used to attend his concerts regularly.

"That's how most of my songs are written," he said, taking a drag from his cigarette and explaining that his lyrics usually come from his own experiences, and are further developed through journaling. On the other hand, Mullins said, "melodies are always floating around in [his] head."

Mullins said he thought that his smash hit was indeed indicative of the way he continues to write songs. Although he feels he has grown as an artist since the "Soul's Core" album was released in 1998, he still uses the verses of his songs "to tell a story" and the choruses "to uplift people."

Mullins is as introspective about his career as he is about his songwriting, and said he attempts to steer his thoughts clear of the Grammy and Billboard hype.

In the music business, having one hit is very different from having two, he said, and staying focused on what he loves to do keeps him from worrying about critics who would relegate him to the rank and file of one hit wonderdom.

Indeed, his favorite songs are not necessarily the ones that win the widest popular acclaim. According to Mullins, he most enjoys playing the songs on which he is currently working.

And, at 33, the one-time army lieutenant said he hasn't quite found his place in popular culture.

"I don't feel like I really fit into that MTV [image]," he said. " I feel like I'm out of place talking about my music in that kind of atmosphere." Although VH1 is a bit more his style, he still prefers live performing on tour to music videos.

"I love being on the road I feel kind of at home when I'm traveling," he said.

He said he was especially enthusiastic that his summer tour took him to Dartmouth.

"It's an honor to play here," he said, adding that he first started in colleges, where the gigs paid more than the shows he did at other more traditional venues.

Mullins said he enjoyed collaborating with stars Shawn Colvin and Elton John to create his latest album, "Beneath the Velvet Sun," which he describes as "open, moody and different." After having listened to their music for years, Mullins said he found Colvin "a real treat" and John "a real trip."

Growing up, the singer said he had several different musical influences from all different genres, and that, now, as an established musician, he still admires many of the same people, including both Joni Mitchell and James Taylor.

"The heroes still remain the same," he said, then added with a mischievous grin, "until you get to know them."

As a kid, Mullins was "always singing and playing on something." From listening to the tall tales of his big band musician grandfather -- his "biggest tangible influence" -- to forming teenage rock groups, music became a familiar leitmotif early on.

However, his friends' desire to perform cover songs rather than create their own music "is what really pushed [him] into solo performing."

He enjoys the flexibility of solo work, in which his songs can change spontaneously as he sings them, as he can add verbal asides and emphasize new and different musical hues. On the other hand, when performing with a band, songs sound more like they do on the records or radio edits, he said.

Having been in the music business for over 20 years -- and signed for 12 -- the seasoned performer said he still gets nervous before he goes onstage, but at this point in his career he is usually able to turn that tension into positive energy.

When asked his advice for aspiring young artists, Mullins became pensive, and then answered simply: "Write the best songs you can write." Then he added, "stay independent," explaining that it is important for musicians to retain control over their careers early on so that they can keep their options open.