Zete expected to file appeal today

In an attempt to overturn the College's recent decision to derecognize Zeta Psi fraternity, the organization is expected to file an appeal today, according to Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman.

The College announced its decision to shut down the fraternity on May 11 following the discovery of internal house newsletters containing detailed accounts of brothers' supposed sexual exploits.

The decision was largely the result of an administrative hearing held to determine whether or not the fraternity had, through its newsletters, violated certain codes of conduct.

Redman, who had presided over the hearing, decided that Zeta Psi was indeed guilty of several violations. Given the recent violations and the organization's previous history (in 1987, Zete was temporarily derecognized by the College for the publication of similar, sexually explicit newsletters), Redman determined that the appropriate sanction to impose on the fraternity was permanent derecognition.

In a press statement released soon after the decision, Zeta Psi president Gene Boyle '02 called the decision unjustified.

The statement also said that the fraternity "will consider its appeal rights and whether further legal action is merited."

As of late last night, Boyle could not be reached for comment. Redman did, however, confirm that he has been in contact with Boyle and that the Zete president had told him that the organization would file an appeal today.

Redman said that he had "no idea" on what grounds Zete plans to appeal, but he explained that, as with any appeal of Greek disciplinary action, it must be based on at least one of three claims: that not all relevant information was presented during the initial judicial process, that procedural errors were made during the process or that the imposed penalties are too severe relative to the determined violations.

Once an appeal is filed, the decision as to whether or not to revoke the derecognition will rest squarely on Redman's shoulders. He declined to estimate how long it would take him to pass judgment on the appeal.

Redman also would not speculate on the probability that Zeta Psi will succeed in revoking its derecognition, but admitted that such an outcome is not impossible.