Women's lacrosse stars receive top awards

With the women's lacrosse season over and Maryland once again crowned champion, many individuals got their well deserved recognition this week. Three Dartmouth players received nomination to the Brine/IWLCA All-American team.

Leading the pack is midfielder Suzy Gibbons '01 who was named to the first team All-America after leading the Ivy League in scoring with 49 goals and 13 assists for a total of 62 points. Gibbons had previously been named Ivy Player of the Year and first team All-Ivy.

Gibbons was also just named to the Verizon Academic At-Large District 1 team along with nine other student-athletes.

Gibbons completed a hat trick of awards yesterday by being named to the U.S. Lacrosse Women's Division Collegiate All-American first team.

Fellow Ivy first teamer Amy Zimmer '01 was named to the Brine/IWLCA second team and was given honorable mention by U.S. Lacrosse.

Zimmer was Dartmouth's second leading scorer at attacker, picking up 28 goals and 22 assists in the Big Green's control offense which often ran through her behind the net.

Zimmer also was second in the nation in collected ground balls with an average of 4.88 per game.

Goalie Sarah Hughes '02 picked up a pair of nominations as well, being named to the third team by the IWLCA and receiving honorable mention from U.S. Lacrosse. Hughes was one of the top goalies in the country this season, posting a 6.97 goals against average while being selected to the first team All-Ivy.

Joining the Big Green trio on the Brine/IWLCA team were five Maryland Terrapins including four on the first team. Fellow Ivy League teams Princeton and Cornell each placed members on the team with four and two players respectively.

Julie Shaner and Rachael Becker were both named to the first team for Princeton, Lauren Simone was named to the second team and Kim Smith the third team. Cornell's Jamie Reynolds and Katie McCorry were both named to the third team.

Shaner and Becker joined Gibbons on the U.S. Lacrosse first team while Smith grabbed an honorable mention. Brown's Niki Caggiano also received an honorable mention from U.S. lacrosse.

Twelve players were named first team by both organizations. Maryland's Allison Comito, Jen Adams and Quinn Carney joined Gibbons, Shaner and Becker along with Stacey Morlang of Loyola, Sheehan Stanwick and Caitlin McLean of Georgetown, Kate Kaiser and Kristen Foster of Duke and Christine McPike of North Carolina. Duke's Lauren Gallagher, William & Mary's Lindsey Lowman and Virginia's Laurie Kenis rounded out the U.S. Lacrosse first team.

Kaiser, McLean, Shaner and Stanwick were all first teamer's last season. North Carolina and Georgetown joined Duke, Dartmouth, Maryland and Princeton as the only schools to put three players on the All-American list as the Tarheels' Lindsay Stone and Kellie Thompson joined the Hoyas' Sarah Oglesby as honorable mentions.