Nickerson, Luckenbill recognized for efforts

With the year drawing near its close, Dartmouth presented its major athletic awards Monday. Taking home the Kenneth Archibald Prize, which is given to the senior who has been "the best all-around athlete with regard to moral worth and high standing in scholarship," was Brian Nickerson '00 the Big Green baseball co-captain.

The award caps off an outstanding career that left Nickerson as Dartmouth's all-time leader in base hits and which propelled him to signing a contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers last week. Nickerson has been a Dartmouth baseball captain for three years.

Nickerson is the only player in Ivy League history to be named both rookie of the year and player of the year in a career. He was also a three-time All-Ivy first team selection.

Kristen Luckenbill '01 took home the Class of 1976 Award given to the outstanding female athlete. Luckenbill led Dartmouth soccer to two Ivy League titles and three NCAA Tournament appearances from her position in between the goal posts.

Luckenbill is the only Ivy League goalie to be named to the first All-Ivy team all four years. She is currently minding the nets for the Carolina Courage of the WUSA.

The pride of Big Green football, Caleb Moore '01, also took home an award, being voted the Alfred E. Watson Trophy winner. The Watson Trophy is given to the outstanding male athlete at Dartmouth.

Moore is a two-time captain and unanimous All-Ivy selection at offensive guard the past two seasons. Moore was also selected as a third team Associated Press All-American this past season.

Caleb recently signed a free agent contract with the Tennessee Titans.

The Agnes B. Kurtz award for "best combining proficiency in athletics with dedication to the furthering of women's sports" went to Stephanie Kinnear '01. Kinnear was a tri-captain on the women's basketball team this season.

Kinnear was named to the second team All-Ivy squad this season and was an Academic All-Ivy honoree as well. She also ends her career fifth in assists all-time at Dartmouth.

Mike Levy '01, Nickerson's co-captain, was presented the Timothy Wright Ellis Award which is presented "to a man showing the extracurricular and scholastic drive, spirit, loyalty and amiability that made Tim such a well-known part of this community." Levy was named to the first team All-Ivy this season for the second time in his career.

Levy has caught 146 games for the Big Green this season and has been an integral part of Dartmouth's back-to-back Red Rolfe Division titles in 2000 and 2001. Levy's baseball career fate awaits the baseball entry draft on June 5.

The Class of 1948 Scholar Athlete-Award went to a pair of '02s this year, Taylor Smith and Correne Bredin. The award is given to one male and one female who have combined outstanding performance in athletics with significant achievement in the classroom.

Smith was a first team All-Ivy selection in indoor track and field each of the last as a result of his victory in the pentathlon at both the 2000 and 2001 Heps Championships. Smith has a 3.4 GPA in engineering sciences.

Bredin is a three year letter-winner on the women's hockey team. She received All-Ivy, All-ECAC and All-America nominations this season while playing a key role in the Big Green holding the No. 1 ranking in the nation all season long and receiving a berth in the inaugural NCAA Championship.

Bredin is currently maintaining a 3.32 GPa in genetics.

Alexander Kraev '01 and Joseph McIntyre '01 also received awards yesterday.