'Just push play' this summer

Looking to kick off the summer in style? Try slipping in the Aerosmith CD "Just push play" and turning up the volume. The five-member band's latest album offers an exciting blend of energizing tracks that make listening to the entire album a pleasure.

The obvious hit of the CD is the highly celebrated single, "Jaded." The pop sound of this song typifies Aerosmith's recent shift toward producing more mainstream sounding music and moving away from its classic rock roots of decades earlier.

Fans of this earlier era will most likely be disappointed with this new release, but the album should draw strong support from listeners with an ear for pop. Those who enjoy hearing "Jaded" on the radio will be pleased with the rest of the album.

The second track, "Just push play," is probably the closest to the Aerosmith of old, being that it is the least infused with pop elements. Vocalizing frustrations of girls who wear guys thin, the track "Under My Skin" approaches classic Aerosmith but in the end falls short. Nonetheless, the strings are catchy and make for a good listen.

While the majority of tracks deal with love, girls and the frustrations of both, perhaps none is as powerful as "Beyond Beautiful," which is debatably the best song on the album. The percussion and electric guitars dominate, and the well-timed vocals make this song a resounding success.

"Fly Away From Here" is a slower paced song that retains upbeat instrumentals to accompany the emphasis of the lyrics: "do you see a bluer sky now?/ you can have a better life now/ open your eyes/ cuz no one here can ever stop us/ they can try but we won't let them/ no way."

Tracks like "Trip Hoppin'" and "Drop Dead Gorgeous" typify the electric guitar sounds, screeching and head-banging lyrics for which Aerosmith first became popular. Yet noticeably different, both in these songs and Aerosmith's later work, is the increased incorporation of pop synthesized sounds.

Overall this album's stings and vocals are strong from start to finish throughout the 12 tracks. Depending upon your willingness to accept the newer style of Aerosmith, this CD will make the perfect companion for that summer road trip.