W. lacrosse leaves Harvard green with envy

Amy Zimmer '01 and Jen Newitt '02 each tallied three goals to help Dartmouth keep its momentum going in its eight game winning streak. The Big Green defeated Harvard on a brisk evening yesterday by a score of 10-6.

"As every game this year has been, Harvard was another step in the right direction," commented Sarah Hughes '02. "We had moments of brilliance and others that we need to learn from and apply in our coming games."

The teams played a close first, with each team's defense playing tenaciously. Zimmer opened the scoring for Dartmouth at 23:34 with her first goal of the game, but Harvard then took the lead with goals scored by Kate Shaughnessy and Lauren Corkery.

This was the last Harvard lead of the game as the Big Green finished out the first half with goals from Liz Merritt '01 and Zimmer to go into the second half leading, 3-2.

Dartmouth came out strong scoring early on at 28:54 with Newitt scoring on an assist from Alison Moulin '02. Amy Frazier '02 found the net barely 30 seconds later to extend Dartmouth's lead to three. Newitt scored again at 23:36 to add to the Big Green's lead.

However, the Crimson's Ali Harper scored for Harvard to break Dartmouth's second half dominance and bring the score to 6-3.

Dartmouth then went on to score four unanswered goals from Zimmer, Lana Smith '04, Kate Killen '04 and Newitt, to make the score 10-3. Harvard began chipping away at the Big Green's lead, scoring three more before the second half was over, with Lauren Corkery, Alli Harper and Kate Shaughnessy all scoring their second goals of the game.

Time ran out however and the Big Green left the field victorious, 10-6.

Harvard's defense was tested constantly throughout the second, as Dartmouth controlled the ball for most of the half, and Harvard goalie Nora Guyer preformed admirably under persistent Dartmouth attack. Hughes, the Big Green netminder, played brilliantly, turning away many excellent Harvard shots to lead Dartmouth to victory.

The game leaves Harvard in search of its first Ivy League win and drops the Crimson to 5-6 overall (0-5 Ivy). Dartmouth improves to 10-1 overall and 5-1 Ivy.

Dartmouth is currently ranked tenth in the IWLCA Poll.

The Big Green swept the Ivy League's weekly honors as senior Suzy Gibbons was named top offensive player and Hughes was the defensive standout.

The Ivy League is particularly strong this year with Princeton at 4-0, and Dartmouth and Yale right behind, with records of 5-1 and 4-1 respectively.

Dartmouth hosts Princeton, who is ranked number three nationally, this Saturday and will finish the season against the top teams of Duke, North Carolina, and Maryland, who are ranked No.'a 4, 6 and 1, respectively, in the IWLCA Poll.

"Princeton is an excellent team and will be a challenge," said Hughes. "But we are confident that our unity and ability to make progress each game will guide us to victory."