Tigers snared by Big Green bats

Fresh off of a sweep of Penn on Saturday, the Dartmouth softball team continued its hard-hitting ways and swept Princeton on Sunday by scores of 8-5 and 8-0. The wins kept Dartmouth undefeated in Ivy League play and evened their overall record at 11-11.

The Big Green lit up Princeton ace Brie Galicinao, who entered the game with a 0.73 E.R.A., for five runs in the first two innings. The early offense was powered by Carrie Hoverman '01 who slammed a two-run homer in the second and Cherie Comeau '02 smacked a two-RBI double in the same inning.

Dartmouth added even more insurance for starter Christine Quattrocchi '03 with a three-run sixth as Erica Morgenstein '01 added a two-run single. The Big Green spread around the offense, collecting only nine hits by eight different players with only Chiara Grabill '01 getting two hits for the game.

Quattrocchi went the distance scattering five hits and striking out six as she improved her record to 5-6. For the Tigers, Galiciano dropped her record to 4-6 in surrendering only four earned runs over her six innings of work.

In the nightcap, Dartmouth again started quickly with a four-run first inning featuring a two-run bomb by Comeau after Sarah Damon '02 led off the game with a double. Hoverman added her second dinger of the season in the fourth and the team wound up with 10 hits, two each by Comeau, Damon and Hoverman.

Lisa Caruso '04 pitched brilliantly, allowing only six hits in her five-inning complete game and striking out two. Caruso's great pitching of late gives Dartmouth one of the best 1-2 combinations in the Ivy League and bodes well for the future of the season.

For Princeton, starter Sarah Jane White couldn't record an out as she faced only the first four hitters, all of whom scored. Wendy Bingham came on in relief and didn't fare that much better than White, allowing four runs over five innings and striking out four.

Leadoff hitter and centerfielder Lori Volker was the lone bright spot for the Tigers, as she collected two hits off of Caruso in her three trips to the plate.

Princeton had some chances against the Big Green starters, but stranded 13 runners on base during the doubleheader.

The Big Green now return home with the intention of playing two home doubleheaders this weekend, weather permitting. Cornell is slottted to come to Hanover on Friday at 2:30 p.m. with the Light Blue of Columbia striding in to face the Big Green on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.