W. tennis evens record on trip

After a productive two-term 'offseason' in which they compiled a 3-3 record and got a great deal of matchplay for their younger players, the women's tennis team returned to action for the heart of their season over spring break. The Big Green traveled to the west coast to take on Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Loyola Marymount and Pacific and came out with its record even at 5-5.

Saturday March 17th saw Dartmouth start off on the wrong foot as they fell hard, 6-1, to the Badgers of Wisconsin. The lone point that the team earned was garnered by captain Courtney Smalley '01 with a 3-6, 7-5, 6-0 victory at third singles.

The Big Green followed the tough loss up by taking the fight to Cincinnati. The match started out with Dartmouth sweeping the doubles points from the Bearcats.

This set the stage for tight singles play which led to the Big Green's eventually 4-3 victory. Carly Bashleben '02 at first singles, Smalley at third and Arden Fredeking '04 at fifth won their individual matches to take the match which was played at Pepperdine University.

The team hoped to build some momentum after the close victory and roll it over into a little streak to close out the trip. Loyola Marymount had other ideas.

The Lions pounced on Dartmouth and handed the Big Green a 7-0 defeat. The only match the Big Green did win was the second doubles match in which Smalley and Catherine Crandall '04 were victorious.

Dartmouth played its best overall tennis in doubles, as both other doubles matches were heavily contested as well.

To close out the trip, Dartmouth took on Pacific at Long Beach State. Smalley and Crandall nabbed another victory at second doubles while Sarita Yardi '02 and Bashleben cruised to an 8-2 victory at first doubles to secure the point for Dartmouth.

Singles competition was fierce with five out of six matches going to a third set..

Yardi gave Dartmouth a huge lift with a lengthy three-set victory at first singles over Pacific's Susanne Bertell, the 2000 Big West Conference Player of the Year. After taking the first set 6-3, Yardi lost a tiebreaker before coming back to grab the final set 6-2.

Smalley and Crandall then capped off outstanding days by taking their singles matches at third and fourth singles respectively.

The 4-3 victory over the Tigers evened Dartmouth's record at 5-5 before coming home. The impressive doubles play bodes well for upcoming Ivy play where doubles victories are crucial to winning matches.

The Big Green have two more non-league matches before diving headfirst into the murky Ivy waters. This weekend, Dartmouth hosts Boston College and Boston University at noon both days as they attempt to bring a winning record into the Ivy League season.