Baseball suffers early troubles

The Big Green baseball team returns to action this spring after a record-breaking 2000 season. The Dartmouth squad capped off last season 29-14, and 17-3 in Ivy play (both school highs), with its two final losses coming to Lou Gehrig division champ Princeton in the Ivy Championship series.

Dartmouth's exciting 2000 season also saw the team sweep the Ivy Awards (the first team to ever do so) taking Ivy League MVP (Brian Nickerson '00), Ivy Pitcher of the Year (Conor Brooks '00), and Ivy Rookie of the Year (Mike Mileusnic '03).

With 18 returning ballplayers, including the entire infield, catcher, and two starting pitchers, the team will look to maintain the chemistry and power displayed in last year's impressive season.

Despite quality returning athletes, the Big Green loses three of its most important assets to graduation. Conor Brooks on the hill, who was the ace of the staff, had the poise and confidence to lead the team and the talent to do it by example.

Centerfielder James Little '00, who also graduated and along with Brooks signed a professional contract, left Dartmouth as all-time leader in hits (202)and runs (143). And Jon Miller '00, who was All-Ivy and led the team in saves (6) was the closer from the pen.

The Big Green looks to new senior leaders to take up the reigns from past ballplayers, and with the experience and depth of the seniors on this squad, just who will turn it up is the question.

Nickerson is the obvious first example. Taking Ivy Player of the Week on March 20th, he went yard three times and hit .467 in the first four games of the season.

His co-captain Mike Levy '01, couldn't be outdone taking March 26th's Ivy Player of the Week by going 11 for 17 (.647) with two dingers and a 3 for 3 game against Bethany. Levy, who has been an essential element of the Big Green's success the past few years with the bat also played solid defense behind the plate throwing out three runners.

"This team has very good chemistry: good seniors, rock solid people and Levy and Nickerson are outstanding captains," said Coach Whalen.

The Big Green also has the returning talent of Mileusnic. Mileusnic went on a tear to finish off the season and picked up where he left off this spring going 16 for 41 (.390) over the trip with 9 RBIs and 4 doubles.

Newcomer Scott Shirrell '04 quickly made his presence felt by knocking a team-leading 4 homers and 12 RBIs.

His .412 batting average puts him second only to Levy (.471) and his versatility has earned him the starting spot in leftfield.

Schirrell, a shortsop from Portland, Maine, took MVP honors all four years at his high school while also earning 13 varsity letters in four sports and an All-Academic pick.

"Scott Shirrell is a fantastic athlete he's one of the players that's making things happen," said co-captain Brian Nickerson.

After a 3-7 start on the Big Green's Spring Trip, Coach Whalen feels the guys are getting the playing time and live pitching they need to make a strong start in this weekend's Ivy Opener:

"We're getting better every time out there; there's no replacing the opportunity to have At bats and just play the game"

And the team's record is no indication of what's to come from past years.

The Big Green moved from South Florida to Southern California for this year's spring trip, facing top caliber California teams such as UC Santa Barbara (a likely top 25 team).

Dartmouth gained victories over Pomona Pitzer (8-5), Bethany College (12-5), and Westmont College (9-1) and although their last weekend saw three losses (one to Cal Polytech and two to UCSB),

Their competitive play losing two of the three by only one run and out-hitting their opponents two of three times, gave them a confident finish.

"The last weekend was a momentum builder: you could see the team come together in the last three games, we played well and you could feel the enthusiasm in the dugout- the guys were playing with more confidence," said shortstop Matt Klentak '02.

Continued confidence from the ballplayers and strong support behind the mound will be key factors this year with the graduation of Conor Brooks and the loss of Jim Kelley '02 from the starting rotation.

John Velosky '02, a strong right-handed hurler who tossed 17.1 innings for the Big Green over the spring break striking out a team-high 11, is sought to add to his 7 wins last year.

Southpaw Jeff Dutremble '01, who missed game action in the spring due to a sore elbow will need a quick recovery to be a force in the thinned out Big Green pitching rotation.

"Duey is the ace of the staff and he had an unbelievable summer. If he could take over for Conor he'd be a big key for us," said Nickerson.

The three Dartmouth wins went to sophmores David Lopez and Kevan Graves and freshman Tim Grant who each had 1-1 records.

Grant's performance was most impressive as he threw 13.2 innings and aside from an eight-run first collegiate inning showed Coach Whalen he has the potential for a number three spot in the starting rotation.

A probable to round out the rotation is an unlikely guess, Lawrence Fey '02, an infielder who missed last season with mono made his debut on the mound tossing 12.1 innings. After recovery from surgery,

Pat Dowling '04 has the ability to make an impact and also vie for the spot.

Overall, it will come down to solidifying a tenuous pitching staff and maintaining a solid and experienced defense (6 double-plays in 10 games). Timely hitting from the proven Dartmouth offense will also be vital early on in the season as a young pitching staff settles in.

This weekend Dartmouth faces UPenn (10-3) and Columbia (4-15) for Ivy road openers. Dartmouth is scheduled to return for a home opener against Quinnipiac, but will likely swap sites until Hanover weather permits spring ball.