Students deal with blackouts

What would life be like without electricity? This is a question that most people cannot even begin to answer because of their routine dependence on lights, electronics and especially computers, but it has become a harsh reality in most parts of California.

The deregulation of electricity in California has led to a number of power blackouts around the state. Local power companies have declared bankruptcy because they cannot meet the demand for electricity at competitive prices.

As a result, College students in California have had to learn to cope with a new way of life that shifts the daily focus away from energy dependent devices. For some students it only means making an extra effort to conserve energy, but for others it means completely rearranging a daily routine.

In an age when people are addicted to computers and handheld electronic devices, living without power can be a nightmare.

According to The New York Times, some Californians think their situation is merely a passing irritation, something similar to what was described as "an earthquake that knocks a few cereal boxes off the shelf."

The Claremont Colleges have taken emergency measures to meet the contrasting needs of students and power providers.

According to President of Claremont McKenna College, Pamela Gann, the Claremont Colleges have bought approximately 40 generators to protect student against the current rolling blackouts that are plaguing many parts of the state.

For the first few weeks of classes in January, Claremont chose to opt out of their "interruptible power" contract and instead paid $40,000 to have electricity each night. Currently, the interruptible power contract is no longer an option -- all residences and institutions are subject to rolling blackouts.

Claremont representatives are still analyzing ways to take additional energy reduction measures on campus to try to manage their skyrocketing energy costs, and they have already encouraged the use of common sense in electricity use.

Energy saving common sense for those in California involves turning off lights, computers, and appliances when not in use, and also avoiding elevator usage in case of a blackout, especially during peak periods of 7 to 9 a.m. and 5 to 7:30 p.m.

Additionally, the Claremont Colleges have provided students with flashlights and batteries in case of random power outages.

Claremont promises to keep the electricity on in the Residence Halls at least between 5 p.m. and 8 a.m. In some places, such as the gymnasium and dining hall, permanent generators are being installed to help meet the needs of students during regular day hours.

During the day students are able to take showers at the gym, work in the campus computer lab, and meet with other students or do work in one of the several common areas on campus.

As for classes, most have been moved to classrooms more accessible to natural lighting in order to help with the excessive power demand.

Students at the University of California at Los Angeles have been fortunate enough not to feel the effects of deregulation. According to Barbara Ortutay, the Editor of the UCLA Daily Bruin, although the University owns its own power plant and is able to continue without interruption, measures are being taken in the area to cut down on power usage.

New traffic lights that are more energy-efficient have been installed in the town, while additionally students and faculty are encouraged to use common sense when using energy.

The scattered blackouts occur throughout the southern California region and solutions are not imminent. According to the Claremont McKenna web site, two new power plants are scheduled to begin operation by sometime this summer, but they will only be able to provide about 1% of the power demand.

For now, students will continue to adapt to the power crisis and continue to research ways to conserve energy in the future as administrators look at ways to increase their capacity to accommodate the demand.