Squash picks up weekend wins

For the first time this year, the Dartmouth men's squash team defeated an opposing Ivy League team. The victim was in the form of a sub-par Brown team, in a match the Big Green had to win.

With their hopes for attaining a spot in the A bracket diminishing, the Big Green continued their super Sunday, with a sweep of Bates College later on in the day. The energetic play was evident throughout the team.

The day started with a 6-3 thumping of the Brown Bears. Wins by Brad Doline '02, Chris O'Connell '04 and Scott Judah '02, helped the big green stake an early lead. It was a lead they would never relinquish, as impressive play by No. 1 Hamed Anvari '02 and Andrei Prokopiw '04, gave the Big Green the overwhelming victory.

Having come off a two-win day in Cambridge last Wednesday, the men's team looked to make it four victories in their last five matches when they took on visiting Bates College. The game, an expected victory, was won with relative ease, as the Big Green swept Bates 9-0.

Meanwhile the women, with victories at the top five spots, defeated Brown, 5-4, on Sunday at the Berry Racquet Center on Sunday.

The win moves the ninth-ranked Big Green ahead of Brown in seeding for the upcoming Howe Cup national team championship at Yale.

In the match, Sarah West '02 pulled out a five-game victory at No. 1, while No. 3 Charlotte Haldeman '03 won in four games. Other victories came from Lindsey Bishop '01, Farrar Evans '03 and Abigail Drachman-Jones '03, who all won in their matches in three games.