Sepulveda '02 to head Outing Club

The Dartmouth Outing Club elected a president and vice president for 2001-2002 last night during a meeting attended by about 30 people.

Adam Sepulveda '02 will begin serving as DOC president Spring term. Alexios Monopolis '03 will take on the duties of vice president beginning in the fall after filling in at president over the summer.

The outgoing president, Eli Diament '02, expressed confidence in the incoming executives.

"I'm excited. [Sepulveda and Monopolis] are very ambitious and their goals are pretty great," Diament said. "They really know what they want to do with the club."

Sepulveda, who is currently in Costa Rica on the biology foreign study program, was represented during the elections by Nicholas Koshnick '01.

Koshnick said Sepulveda will be working to unify the various member clubs of the DOC and increase diversity within the organization.

A factor in Sepulveda's election was his perceived ability to "get people excited."

"Adam was chosen because of his past involvement with the club as well as the fact that he's very charismatic and very warm and easy to get to know," Diament said, adding that he had enjoyed working with Sepulveda on sophomore DOC trips last summer.

Likewise, Monopolis indicated he will be working to make the DOC more of a "coalition organization." One of his main goals over the next year will also be to bring the Geography Club, which he founded, under the DOC umbrella.

Candidates for president and vice president delivered brief speeches before the floor was opened up for the assembled DOC members to ask them questions.

It has yet to be decided who will serve as vice president while Monopolis is off campus during Spring term. Diament said the decision of how to select someone will be left up to Sepulveda upon his return.

Other DOC officers are selected on a per-term basis.