Patients' rights debate revisited

Long-debated legislation concerning patients' rights may finally come to the front of the agenda in the upcoming weeks.

Bipartisan advocates of patients' rights offered new legislation Tuesday, the kick-off to the fifth year of debate on the issue.

"The American people have waited too long," Sen. John McCain, R"Ariz., said, according to the Associated Press.

Another key Republican supporter -- Charlie Norwood of Georgia -- withdrew his support after a meeting with the White House on Monday, however.

"I intend to support it if and when it comes to the floor of the House. I simply would like our new president to have the opportunity to provide some input on this issue before we declare this version to be final," Norwood said in his statement, echoing Fleischer.

"We emphasized to the congressman, as well as to others, that the president deserves his chance to put forward a patient bill of rights," White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said.

The proposal -- the latest version of legislation offering new rights for patients -- is supported by a bipartisan group from the House and Senate.

Although patients' rights legislation passed in the House under the last administration, it was stalled in the Senate. Since the Democrats have captured an equal number of seats in the election, supporters have rallied close to 60 votes in the Senate, enough to end debate and bring the bill to a vote.

Bush is preparing to send a letter to legislators later this week outlining his views on patients' rights.

The proposed legislation was the result of a long attempt by Congressional leaders to reach a compromise, specifically regarding the right to sue, the most contested issue in the debate.

The bill would direct many legal claims to state courts, where plaintiffs have traditionally secured substantial damage awards.

Other cases would however be directed to federal courts, where damages are usually smaller. The legislation would also allow a judge or jury to award a "civil assessment" up to $5 million.

The proposed legislation would additionally require health insurance companies to inform patients about how their plan is managed, to pay for many out-of-network emergency room treatments, to allow easier access to specialists and take disputes about care to independent appeals panels.

Clinton and Gore Clash

According to most analysts incumbent vice presidents rarely lose elections, especially when the economy is flourishing, making Gore's loss an event still shrouded in excessive confusion in Washington.

Gore's confusion and frustration was evident in a meeting with Clinton. The former President and Vice President, once close, had barely spoken for a year when Gore forcefully told Clinton that his sex scandal and low approval ratings were a major reason the Vice-President had lost the campaign.

Clinton however, asserted that Gore's failure to capitalize on the administration's strong record was the prime factor jeopardizing his bid for the presidency.

Clinton has previously admitted that he was mystified, and even angered, by Gore's refusal to run on the strong economy and other issues for which he felt the vice president deserved credit.

Many Clinton aides agree, noting that Gore took a basic political problem -- establishing a distinct identity in the face of an out-going administration -- and unnecessarily complicated it, not even allowing the President to campaign for him in the days before the election.

While only the two men were present for the showdown -- a meeting that failed to even appear on White House calendars -- people close to both have described the tone in similar language.

One Democrat who has worked closely with both Clinton and Gore described the talk as "very, very blunt."

Shooting outside Whitehouse

An armed, possibly suicidal, man was shot outside the White House yesterday.

Robert Pickett of Evansville, Ind. was shot in the leg and taken to the hospital after a 10 minute standoff.

Police heard shots around 11:30 a.m. and came upon a man brandishing a handgun on the sidewalk outside the President's residence.

"He was waving it in the air " it was pointed at the White House at one point -- and pointing it in all directions," said Park Police spokesman Rob MacLean in an article on msnbc.com.

At one point the suspect placed the gun in his own mouth, MacLean added.

Bush however, was "never in any danger," according to White House press secretary Ari Fleischer.