Track impresses at Yale meet

Both the men's and women's track and field represented Dartmouth well on Sunday at Yale. The men totaled 87 1/2 points in defeating Yale and Columbia, and the women placed second in the tri-meet hosted by Yale.

The men's track and field team won nine individual events in this preparatory meet for the Heptagonal Championship that will take place in late February.

Matt Colman '01 won the 800 meters with a time of 1:56.23 while Chris Lanese '04 finished first in the mile with a time of 4:17:01.

"Coach Harwick wanted us to compete in this meet to get a feeling of what it's like to go head-to-head against other Ivy teams before Heps," Lanese said. "The fact that we really rose to the occasion shows that we have a great shot at doing much better than in recent years when we compete at Heps."

Amhad Abdur-Rahim '04 placed first in the 55 meter hurdles with a time of 7.93. In the 3,000 meters Jarrod Shoemaker '04 posted a time of 8:36.76.

Dartmouth also placed first in the 4 x 400 relay, finishing in 3:22.04.

The Big Green had just as much success in the field events. Justin Griggs '01 leaped 6-5 to win the high jump, and Jonathan Carlson '03 took the pole vault with 14-6.

In the triple jump Joe Marucheck '04 won with 45-0 1/2.

In the shot Marc Hermer '02 threw a 50-4 1/2 for first place, while Peter Pasho '01 threw a 47-7 in the weight to take the even.

The Big Green women placed first in five events at their meet at Yale University, but came up short to the Bulldogs. Yale claimed 72 1/2 points, followed by Dartmouth with 54 1/2 and Columbia with 32.

Allison Cardlin '01 placed first in the shot with 44-7 1/2, followed by Meagan Verdeyen '03 and Sarah Hayes '01.

All-American Erin Dromgoole '01 placed first in the mile with a time of 5:00.55, while Jessie Allen-Young '03 won the 3,000 in 10:01.82.

Pole vaulter Laura Duncan '01 made 11-0 for first place, and Sarah Daoust '03 won the high jump with 5-3 3/4. Shaina Damm '02 placed second in the 55 meter hurdles and third in the long jump at 17-4 1/4.

"The high jump went better for us than last meet," Daoust said. "Katey Krizan ['04] jumped her personal record [5'2''], which is awesome for this early in the season. It was great to compete for the team points against teams that we will see again at Heps."

Both track and field teams return to action next weekend in the Northeastern Invitational and the Boston University Classic.