Stony Brook falls to Big Green

Now, this is more like it. The Dartmouth women's basketball team (3-11, 1-2 Ivy) picked up their second win in a row Wednesday when they traveled to New York to face Stony Brook (10-8).

Dartmouth defeated the Seawolves 68-59 in the non-conference game, breaking the host team's 11-game home winning streak.

Katharine Hanks '03 led her team in scoring with 21 points, putting her at 24th on Dartmouth's all-time scoring list with 631. Hanks, the current Ivy League leader in field goal percentage, made 9-of-12 from the floor in the game.

Stony Brook came of the gate out to a 3-0 lead, but Dartmouth tri-captain Sherryta Freeman '01 soon put the Big Green up 4-3 with a lay-up and Dartmouth kept the lead for the rest of the game. The Seawolves came close, tying the game twice, but a 16-3 scoring run set off by Hanks put Dartmouth up by 13 at the 3:31 mark.

Back-to-back treys by Stony Brook brought the half to an end with a score of31-25 in favor of Dartmouth.

In the second half, Dartmouth forged ahead, hitting 70.8 percent of their shots. The closest the Seawolves came was a 4-point deficit at 18:28.

An 18-6 Dartmouth scoring run cemented their lead, putting the Big Green up by as much as 21 with four minutes left in the game. Stony Brook outscored Dartmouth 14-6 in the homestretch, but it wasn't enough to grab the victory away from the Big Green.

Stony Brook freshman Maggie Triggs led scoring with 22 points, downing three three-pointers.

Freeman, Keri Downs '03, and Katie Skelly '03 all scored in double digits, with 14, 12 and 12 points respectively.

Tri-captain Stephanie Kinnear '01 led all players in both assists with 8 and in rebounding with 10.

Dartmouth will return home for next Tuesday's match-up against Hartford at 7pm.