Opening of Berry dominates fall news

Fall term was marked by architectural changes, a test run of freshman-only housing, disputed national elections and even controversy over one of Dartmouth's most revered traditions, the Homecoming bonfire.

The controversial Berry Library opened its doors to mostly negative reviews, as the Student Assembly began fielding student complaints.

"It's kind of like a hospital," Jeannie Eisberg '01 complained of the lighting in the library, the day the library opened. "It felt really institutional, like a public library. I wanted to see some murals on the wall, or at least some student work."

Students complained of the building's cold, institutional feel, and poor access to public printers and, initially, public computers.

The building also offers Dartmouth Dining Services' newest facility, Novak Caf.

In addition to opening Berry Library, the College announced a 46 percent return on its endowment, along with a slew of new buildings, projects, and programs.

The College started discussions with the Dresden school district to purchase the land where Hanover High sits.

Despite some student disapproval, the College has already instituted many of the reforms suggested in the Steering Committee's report, including the experimentation with freshman-only housing and the removal of permanent bars and tap systems at Greek houses.

Some members of the class of 2004 involved in a focus group sponsored by The Dartmouth praised the freshman only housing.

"We're all in the same boat together," explained one freshman in early October, "With '04s, you don't get that 'been there, done that,' attitude."

Members of the administration considered ending or significantly changing the Homecoming bonfire due to safety issues, but dropped the idea after a mostly safe Homecoming weekend.

The often rowdy bonfire night had drawn scrutiny due to last year's Texas A&M bonfire disaster, which killed 12 students and injured 27 others.

Most of the political attention ended up focused on what Dan Pollock '01 called in an editorial for The Dartmouth in late November "the partisan rancor over the Presidency."

Bush's victory wasn't the only close result. The Senate ended up with 50 seats for both parties, and in Congress the Republican majority was slimmed to single digits.

Pollock added, "clearly the 107th Congress will have some sharply conflicting priorities."

Election fervor on campus, however, had cooled compared to Winter and Spring terms of last year when the campus was caught up in the first election primaries.

Bob Gienko '01 ran an unsuccessful campaign for New Hampshire state representative, finishing first among Republicans but fifth overall for the Hanover district's four seats.

Gienko had taken an off term to run for the seat, a position for which local politicians usually do not campaign. High numbers of first-time voters indicated strong support among Dartmouth students.

"We're proud of the campaign we ran," said Gienko after he learned of the election results. "We campaigned on the issues, but unfortunately ran up against a lot of straight-ticket voters."

Early admissions applications increased by four percent this year, after a decrease last year. The number of students of color applying early increased approximately 20 percent.

This follows a jump from the 11th slot to the 9th in the U.S. News and World Report ranking.