ECAC teams play catch-up

Princeton 6, Wayne St. 0

Andrea Kilbourne and Gretchen Anderson had three points apiece in Princeton's 6-0 defeat of Wayne State. Kilbourne and Anderson each scored two goals and added an assist in the game.

After a scoreless first period, Princeton's Kilbourne scored 6:19 into the second, and Anderson notched her first goal of the day on a power play at 12:55. Anderson then assisted Kilbourne on the last goal of the period .

Susan Hobson, Jess Fedderly and Anderson scored goals in the third.

With the win Princeton improves to 9-8-2 (4-8-2 ECAC).

St. Lawrence 10, BC 2

St. Lawrence defeated Boston College 10-2 as three Saints, Trisha Powers, Meghan Maguire and Chera Marshall had two-goal games. The Saints move to 14-4-3 and the struggling Eagles drop to 5-19-0.

Powers scored just 48 seconds into the game, and Boston College answered with two goals, from Melissa Tower and Gen Richardson, to take a brief lead. St. Lawrence evened the score with a goal from Maguire, which was deflected in by a BC defender, and Powers scored her second of the game only 17 seconds later for the eventual game-winner.

Providence 3, Mercyhurst 1

Providence College women's ice hockey team (13-8-3) rebounded from its 4-2 loss to Mercyhurst earlier in the weekend with a 3-1 win against the Lakers.

Erin Cannon scored her first goal of the season eight minutes into the game to give the Friars the early 1-0 lead. Darlene Stephenson followed a minute later on a power play. Jenn Butsch scored the Friars third and final goal of the night 2:24.

Mercyhurst attempted to rally in the second period with a goal from Randi Pilger at the 12:45 mark, but couldn't get any closer as Providence shutout the Lakers for the remainder of the game.

Niagara 2, Northeastern 2

Niagara and Northeastern skated to a 2-2 tie, moving the teams to 13-10-3 (5-8-3 ECAC) and 12-8-1 (9-5-1) respectively.

The Huskies scored just 48 seconds into the game as Sara Mahoney gave Northeastern an early 1-0 lead. The Huskies then went up 2-0 in the second when Beth Claggett netted a goal of the season at the 11:05 mark. Niagara forward Stephanie Romain found the back of the net for her eighth goal of the season, sending the teams into the third with a 2-1 Northeastern lead.

Dawn Maccauley tied the game up for the Purple Eagles, and sudden death overtime yielded no goals for either team.

Minnesota 3, UNH 1

Ninth-ranked University of New Hampshire fell to the third-ranked University of Minnesota 3-1, as UNH dropped its third straight.

Following a scoreless first, Minnesota opened the scoring when Tracy Engstrom scored at 1:50. Minnesota built on their lead, with a breakaway goal and a power-play goal 11:06 of the third.

Cornell 5, BC 3

Cornell completed its season series with BC, winning 5-3. The Big Red had shutout BC 6-0 on Nov. 26, 2000.

The Eagles scored first when Gen Richardson shot the puck past Cornell goaltender Sanya Sandahl, but Cornell senior co-captain Patricia Kemp tied the game on a power-play goal at 17:13.

BC took the lead again at 4:36 of the second with a goal from Kelly McManus. Lindsay Murao evened the score at 2-2, and Cornell then took the lead as junior assistant captain Jenel Bode flipped the puck past Eagle goalie Amy Coletta.

Erica Olson added to Cornell's lead tallying her first goal of the game with only 12 seconds on the clock in the second. In the third, BC sophomore defender Sarah Engwall cut Cornell's lead to one, but Olson ensured Big Red's victory with her second goal of the game.

Minnesota 2, UNH 1

Minnesota recorded a 2-1 non-conference win over UNH on Friday.

Minnesota took a 1-0 lead on a La Toya Clarke power-play goal at 9:05 of the middle stanza. The Golden Gophers carried this 1-0 lead into the third period and extended it to 2-0 when Tracy Palinsky scored.

Niagara 3, Northeastern 1

Niagara University defeated eighth-ranked Northeastern University Friday by a score of 3-1.

Niagara took the lead in the first when Candice Ceelen put the Purple Eagles on the scoreboard with a power play goal. Dawn Maccauley scored at 2:59 in the second to put Niagara up 2-0.

Mercyhurst 4, Providence 2

Mercyhurst defeated the Providence College women's ice hockey team 4-2 in non-conference action.

The Friars started off the scoring as they scored two goals on two power plays in the first period.

After a scoreless second, the Lakers came out strong in the third with four unanswered goals to earn the 4-2 victory.