Swim team gets off to slow start

Dartmouth's swimming and diving teams competed this weekend at the Karl Michael Pool on campus.

In their first meets of the season, the Big Green men were defeated by Brown 193-50 and the Navy 191-52. Brown also defeated the Navy 142-101 in its dual meet.

Dartmouth's "A" relay team finished the 400-yard freestyle in 3:13:53 seconds, coming in second place. Dartmouth returns to action Saturday, Dec. 16, at the University of Hawaii.

The Dartmouth women lost their home competition to Brown as well, with a score of 208-152.

Danielle Fritz '02 finished first in the one-meter diving event, while Emily Barsky '03 took second, with 277.87 and 258.67 points, respectively.

Shannon Locks '01 placed first with a time of 2:40.70 in the 200-yard breaststroke competition.

Dartmouth won the 300-yard butterfly with a time of 3:05:47 and the 800-yard freestyle with a time of 8:17.54.

Lauren Gilhooly '04 said, "This Saturday's meet went really well -- the team demonstrated a tremendous amount of focus and enthusiasm. Divers Danielle Fritze and Emily Barsky both qualified for zones with their scores, which was an exciting highlight of the afternoon."

The Big Green's next competition will take place Friday, Dec. 8, at UNH.