Sailors race at Atlantic Champs.

The Dartmouth sailing team raced at the Atlantic Coast Championships this past weekend. Selected freshmen sailors went to St. Mary City, Maryland, and competed against 16 other schools, while the coed varsity team sailed at Kings Point Academy.

In a very close competition, the '04 sailors placed fourth at the regatta in St. Mary City. The regatta consisted of 1 races in both the A and B divisions.

Scott Hogan '04 and Amory Loring '04 placed fourth in the A division, finishing with 56 points.

"It was really windy on the first day, which made for some exciting races as much of the fleet was capsizing. On Sunday, the breeze was light and extremely shifty. It was anybody's race, and it was difficult to stay consistent," Hogan said.

Scott Linthicum '04 and Christina Lyndon '04 placed sixth in the B division with 70 points.

Lyndon said, "It was difficult sailing conditions with heavy winds but we all worked hard and ended up doing very well."

The freshman team overall lost the third-place ranking to Georgetown by only one point.

The varsity team placed 11th at the regatta at Kings Point Academy.

Patrick Hogan '01, Kevin Horrigan '02, Greg Hammond '04, Leslie Sandberg '01, and Carly Prior '01 sailed in the A division, finishing with 151 points. Erin Maxwell '01, Horrigan, Sandberg, Greg Hill '02, Hammond and Cindy Keppel '02 sailed in the B division, finishing with 150 points.

Final rankings for the season will come out next week, pending the team's success this coming weekend at Sloop Nationals in Missisippi.