M. soccer, runners make NCAAs

Two Dartmouth men's teams discovered yesterday they will be competing in their respective NCAA tournaments.

The men's soccer team, which failed to win the Ivy League's automatic bid to the tournament when it fell to Brown 4-1 on Saturday, earned an at-large bid, and will head to the University of Connecticut on Sunday. The Huskies are ranked third in the country.

"They're good but they're definitely a team that we would like to play," said Dartmouth defender Scott Lish '03. "We're the underdogs. We have nothing to lose, they have everything to lose."

The men's cross country team, ranked 25th in the nation and coming off a strong third-place finish at the District 1 qualifier in New York on Saturday, earned a trip to the championships at Iowa State next Monday.

The Big Green runners were one of 13 teams to receive at-large bids. They will race against 18 teams that qualified for the NCAAs automatically.

"The way that we've been running the last couple of weeks, we can definitely be up in the top 15," said Jarrod Shoemaker '04, Dartmouth's third-fastest runner at the Districts this weekend. For himself, Shoemaker said, "I really hope to be in the top hundred."

One women's runner, Erin Dromgoole '01, will also make the trip to Iowa State. After coming in 14th place this past weekend at the New York NCAA qualifier, she will compete as an individual in the championships.