Heavyweights come in second

The Dartmouth men's heavyweight crew finished an impressive second out of 41 teams at the Foot of the Charles Regatta in Boston on Saturday to close out its season. The water was relatively flat on Saturday, providing a good day for rowing.

The Big Green finished in a time of 13:29, putting Dartmouth two seconds behind Harvard and the record time in this race.

"We were pleased with our efforts, but we were really hoping to beat Harvard," said heavyweight Captain Steve Simmerman '01.

Dartmouth's second place finish is not that surprising because, as Simmerman noted, the team typically finishes in the top 10 in this regatta.

The heavyweight C boat finished 12th while the B boat came in 18th place.

The lightweights, competing in the same race as the heavyweights, had a strong showing as well, with three boats in the top 20. The three boats captured eighth, 15th and 16th place finishes, while a fourth lightweight crew came in 25th.

"We were hoping for better results, since we lost to a lot of teams we'd beaten before, like Harvard and Columbia," lightweight Captain Ben Cotting '01 said. "Overall though, we had mixed results."

"We weren't expecting the competition to be as strong as it was, but we also had a lot of things going against us. A few of our guys were sick, we hadn't had too many opportunities to practice and we'd gone through a lot of recent lineup changes."

"Still, we did well in comparison to past years," Cotting added. "It was a decent finish to a long season."