Harvard women beat Yale soccer

Rhode Island 2, Brown 0

The Brown Bears lost their second consecutive game last Sunday when travelling Rhode Island handed them a 2-0 defeat.

After 72 minutes of scoreless action, Erica Young, upon collecting a pass from Heather Kasperek, lofted the ball over Brown's goaltender Sarah Gevais and into the net. It was Young's third goal of the season.

Brown tried to stage a comeback with some spirited play, but the game was sealed in the 87th minute when Gina Rosen cannoned the ball from 25 yards out into the upper left corner of the net. Brown actually outshot Providence with 17 shots on goal to Providence's 16, but their finishing was lackluster.

The Bears will try to redeem themselves when they take on Providence today.

Harvard 3, Yale 1

The Crimson continued their six-game unbeaten streak on Saturday afternoon on Ohiri field as they thrashed rival Yale.

Harvard sophomore Joey Yenne had the match of her career as she notched her first ever hat trick. She scored the first half's only goal 35 minutes into the game. After the intermission, she added two quick ones and the Yale Bulldogs were as good as beaten.

The Bulldogs pulled one back in the 73rd minute, but their own goal was always peppered with shots, and goalie Sarah Peterson had to make eight saves in the game.

Harvard plays Boston University at home today while Yale takes on top-ranked Notre Dame.

Stony Brook 2, Cornell 1

After an almost uneventful and scoreless first half, the Stony Brook Seawolves scored once in the second and once in extra time to give Cornell its second consecutive 2-1 loss.

Cornell dominated during most of the second half and even after Stony Brook junior Kerri McCabe found the upper right corner of the net at 45:44, they fought on and tied the game on the 71st minute.

The game moved to extra time, and after some tense action, the game was wrapped up in sensational fashion in the 93rd minute when Stony Brook's Beth Arikian scored from a free-kick 35 yards out.

The Big Red play Brown Saturday.

Penn 2, Columbia 1

A stirring performance in the second half saw the Pennsylvania Quakers pull a goal back and add a winner against travelling Columbia for their second Ivy League win of the year.

The Columbia Lions scored their goal midway through the first half when Erica Woda headed the ball past goalkeeper Kathie Hunt.

But the second half was a completely different story. Penn outshot Columbia 12 to two and first scored through Angela Konstantaras and then added the winner from Heather Taylor.

Princeton 1, BU 0

Exhausted after having played a big conference game on Friday, the Princeton Tigers fought off the challenge of Boston University at Lourie-Love Field on Sunday.

Kelly Sosa scored her first goal of the season in the 13th minute. She collected the ball from Liz Bell and slotted it past the goal keeper.

Getting an early lead was always the plan for the Tigers knowing how much of a part exhaustion would play as the game progressed.

Princeton goalie Jordan Rettig notched up her seventh shutout of the season after having made three fine saves.

The Tigers take on the Harvard Crimson on Friday.