Police charge Vera '01 with computer thefts

After his Sept. 2 arrest for computer theft, Andrew Vera '01 awaits a Jan. 9, 2001 court date, according to Hanover Police Chief Nick Giaccone.

Although Vera was arrested on a misdemeanor charge, he could potentially be tried with a Class A felony since any item worth more than $1,000 fits into that category. Vera could face a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison and a $4,000 fine.

Vera was released on $1,000 personal recognizance bail, and is at his home in Phoenix, Ariz., this term, according to Giaccone.

Vera has been active on campus as an intern in the Office of Admissions, in 2001 Class Council and as a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. According to Vera's entry in the Dartmouth Interactive Directory, he is a Sociology major, an Andrew W. Mellon Fellow, active in the Native Americans at Dartmouth, Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano/a de Aztlan and La Alianza Latina, as well as a member of the Trustee Finance Committee.

The theft of a Macintosh laptop computer was reported to the police department on Aug. 24, following the robbery, which occurred in a room in Sigma Delta sorority on the night following Summer term's last day of classes on Aug. 23.

According to Giaccone, two other computers -- both Macintosh Powerbooks -- were stolen that same night from Theta Delta Chi fraternity, which was hosting an end-of-the-term party.

Giaccone acknowledged that both Vera and Jonathan McKinney '00 were involved in the Theta Delt robbery, but no charges have been pressed, and the case is resting.

He clarified that the police knowledge of Vera's involvement in the Theta Delt case will not affect his January trial, barring future developments.

Giaccone said computer theft is "pretty common." He said although both laptops and desktops have been stolen, "laptops are easier to take."

The thefts were reported first to Safety and Security, but responsibility was soon passed on to the police department.

Safety and Security Investigator Lauren Cummings wrote in a BlitzMail message to The Dartmouth, saying he was not at liberty to discuss the case.

However, he said 90 percent of the investigative work on the case was done by students, who only received guidance from Safety and Security.

Cummings also wrote in a blitz message, "When all was said and done, those responsible came forward voluntarily and took appropriate responsibility."

But he said he could not comment further on the case because

"there may still be some disciplinary action pending at the deans' level."

He said under Family Education Right to Privacy Act regulations -- a Federal law restricting what part of a student's record at a college can release without the student's permission -- he is not at liberty to discuss the case.

In other news, Giaccone reported that a Macintosh G3 laptop computer as well as a CD burner, a wallet and cash were stolen Sept. 10 from an office in the Hopkins Center when its owner left it unoccupied briefly between 5:25 and 5:50 p.m. to use the rest room and go on a short walk.

No one has been arrested in this case and the police department is continuing its investigation.