'04s initiate unique housing option

In addition to experimenting with freshman-only housing for the first time in two River Cluster dorms and various floors in residence halls, the College has also designated those River dorms substance-free after a record number applied for the option.

In the past, only 21 beds in Butterfield were set aside for freshmen who requested substance-free housing.

But this year, the Office of Residential Life received more than 200 requests for substance-free housing and/or all-freshman housing.

Director of Housing Services Lynn Rosenblum said she was surprised by this high level of interest in special housing arrangements.

She explained that in the past, the maximum number of students requesting substance-free arrangements was 120, and last year, only 60 members of the Class of 2003 had applied for substance-free housing.

This jump in applicants for first year, substance-free housing may have something to do with the new housing applications, Rosenblum said, explaining that "it was more an option for this class."

When the 2004s received housing applications at the end of May or the beginning of June, there were clear options for smoke-free, substance-free and all freshmen. Rosenblum said the ORL booklet had not explained options in as much depth in past years.

She said the large jump in requests was unanticipated, but explained that ORL was able to make accommodations because it had not included two River dorms -- French and Hinman -- in the Spring term room draw.

Every freshman living in French and Hinman requested substance-free housing, but did not necessarily opt for freshmen-only housing.

According to Rosenblum, the new housing options are experiments prompted by the Student Life Initiative, and ORL will be monitoring and evaluating how well they work in the context of residential life.

Despite angry remarks last year by students who supported integrating upperclassmen and first year students, many members of the Class of 2004 who talked to The Dartmouth said they were happy with their all-freshman housing, even if they had not originally requested this option.

"I have nothing against upperclassmen," Adam Wong '04 who lives in French said. "But it's great to start out with people in the same situation as you." He explained that living in an all-freshman environment has made it easy for him to meet people.

Wong also praised the substance-free aspect of his living arrangement.

"I guess it's nice that my room doesn't smell like tobacco or weed or something like that," he said. "Personally, I'm a substance-free person, so it works for me."

Robert Baca '04, who lives in Hinman, said he chose substance-free because he is from California where "you can't smoke anywhere in sight."

Baca added, "Socially, it's not so hard to say 'hi, I'm a freshman' in an all-freshman dorm."

James Lamb '04 who lives on an all-freshman floor in Ripley said he is happy with his housing this year.

"It's easier to get to know people in your own class," he explained, noting also that the smoke-free environment is beneficial for his asthma, which does not tolerate smoky environments.

Arden Fredeking '04 who is living in French said she did not indicate she wanted all-freshman housing, but did request substance-free. However, she said she had heard that checking substance-free would give her a better chance at getting placed in Butterfield or other prime housing.

When she found out she was living in the River Cluster, she said she was "scared at first," but yesterday, she praised her living arrangements.

"It's pretty cool," she said. "The dorms are not as old and as horrible as they were said to be." She also explained that her fellow '04s are the people she will share her time at Dartmouth with, and it is good to get to know them early on.

Jesse Cameron-Glickenhaus '04, who lives in North Massachusetts Hall, said he chose specifically not to be in all freshman or substance-free housing because forms made it seem like a more "hand-holding" environment to him.

He said he did check smoke-free, and said he was "kind of ticked off that North Mass wasn't smoke-free." He also noted that although he is not a big drinker, he did not opt for substance-free because "it sounded like substance-free would be all the young Al Gores."

Rosenblum said one concern her office has is whether 2004s will request substance-free housing when next year comes. She said such requests may necessitate future designations of residence halls.

The '04s who talked to The Dartmouth said they could not anticipate whether or not they would elect substance-free housing next year as they move into their sophomore years.