Sean Gee '00 to play pro ball

Next year, Big Green basketball standout Sean Gee will be going to Luxembourg to play for BC Mess, a professional team.

This is quite an accomplishment, considering Gee questioned whether he would ever be good enough to play basketball in college.

"It'll be an incredible experience," Gee said. "It will be a lot of hard work, but I'm really excited about it."

In high school in Nebraska, Gee played baseball and football until his sophomore year, then decided to concentrate solely on basketball as a junior. He finished up in an impressive manner: four years as a starter, with All-Conference, All-Tournament and All-State honors.

He has since proven his mettle in College ball.

As a freshman, Gee had the highest shooting percentage on the team and played in 26 games.

Sophomore year, he was named First Team All-Ivy and led the Ivy League in scoring. He was also named captain of the All-American Farm Team, an honorary position awarded to athletes from farms.

Junior year, Gee repeated both the First Team All-Ivy and Farm Team captain awards.

As a senior, he finished his Dartmouth career as the school's fourth all-time leading scorer with 1,548 points and tenth all-time leading rebounder.

In addition, Gee started all 27 games for the Big Green and served as a tri-captain for the second year in a row. He was awarded the Dolly Stark Award at the end of the season for being the most valuable player.

Gee, who debated between Dartmouth and Princeton, said that he decided to come to Dartmouth because of the atmosphere and the fact that he didn't like Princeton's way of playing basketball.

"They really slow everything up," he said.

Gee is an avid fly-fisherman and also enjoys backpacking and camping.

Next year will be a time to test the waters for the biochemistry and molecular biology major, who said it will give him the chance to see whether he really wants to play professional ball or get a "real job."

Right now, though, Gee said, "I want to finish out here and enjoy the spring."